I have a warrant for arrest for identity theft what should I do? 38 Answers as of September 16, 2012

I am out on bail for petty theft. And about a week ago I found out I have a warrant for my arrest for identity theft. I have no idea why, but I’m very scared and I don’t know what to do... I am a single mother of three and need to fix this mess asap.

Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced criminal law attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
James M. Osak, P.C.
James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
Contact an attorney ASAP.
1. Turn yourself in on the warrant. 2. Get a lawyer. 3. Fight the matter.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
Hire counsel to turn yourself in and request an ROR bond.
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
You need to get an attorney to help you by filing a Motion to Recall the Warrant. Then they can get a hearing scheduled in front of the Judge so that you can turn yourself in to answer the charge. You will have to go to the jail and be processed but most likely will be released on your own recognizes. Then you can deal with the underlying charge. First, you need to deal with the warrant.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    Hire an attorney to defend you and he or she will go over the facts of the case and the strengths and weaknesses of the people's case against you.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    Hire a good lawyer to sort through it all. Or turn yourself in on the warrant as that is the only way to make it go away, and defend yourself in court.
    If you can afford an attorney you should retain a good criminal lawyer in your area. I can give you a referral to a few lawyers. If you are not able to afford a lawyer the court will appoint one and he will explain the charges and tell you what your options are. If you are resorting to theft crimes due to a lack of money it will be even worse since you will be arrested, convicted, and have a criminal er cord for the rest of your life. That will make it very hard to get a good job or government benefits.
    You need to hire a lawyer and arrange a voluntary surrender.
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    You need to get a lawyer and a bail bondsman immediately, before they arrest you.
    It would be a good idea to turn yourself into the sheriff before the authorities come and arrest you. Hire counsel to represent you when you turn yourself in, and if possible, have somebody available to post bail in the event you are held. You should catch a break if you turn yourself in voluntarily. Proving your innocense is a matter you will have to discuss later with your lawyer.
    If there is a warrant, you will need to surrender to it and then consult an attorney to help you defend it in court.
    Get a lawyer to help you turn yourself in. Generally you would have to go to jail.
    Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
    Contact your bondsman and ask if he would go on your bond for an additional charge. If so, take him with you, turn yourself in, and let your bondsman post bond to get you out of jail. Ask for a lawyer if you can't afford one.
    I do not know what to do. To handle a warrant, you must turn yourself in to the issuing court, with or without an attorney. On felony charges, the defendant must be personally present at every court hearing and appearance. On misdemeanors and infractions, an attorney can appear in court without the defendant being present. You'll try to negotiate a recall of the warrant[s] and negotiate a plea bargain on any Failure to Appear charge. You'll try to negotiate bail reduction or OR release. You'll try to negotiate a plea bargain or take to trial the outstanding charge that caused the warrant. Turning yourself in voluntarily will result in a better outcome than being brought in chains to court after arrest on the warrant. Effective plea-bargaining, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail/prison, or at least dramatically reduce it, and may enable you to avoid an additional probation violation. Unless you're competent to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor trying to put you in jail, most people hire an attorney who can.
    Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
    Honestly, either you are going to have to appear in Court in person and explain the situation or sometimes if you hire an attorney, the attorney can go into court and attempt to quash the bench warrant without your presence. As a result, I would recommend retaining private counsel for this. The Courts are usually understanding as long as you take care of it and will not remand you into custody but rather schedule your case accordingly so that the matter can be resolved either by accepting a plea or going to trial.
    See attorney. Appear as scheduled.
    Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
    You need to find an attorney.
    Law Office of Brian K. Wanerman
    Law Office of Brian K. Wanerman | Brian K. Wanerman
    If you have an arrest warrant for identity theft, even after bailing out on the petty theft charge, it means you could be re-arrested at any moment and would have to post new bail on the new charge to get out. You should consult an attorney right away to protect your rights.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Have an attorney file a motion to quash the warrant.
    First, make certain that you are in court when ordered to be there. Second, hire an attorney if you can afford one. If you are not able to afford an attorney request that the court appoint an attorney to represent you. Do not go this one alone.
    The Zwiebel Law Firm, LLC
    The Zwiebel Law Firm, LLC | Elizabeth Zwiebel
    You need legal representation to protect your rights. If there is a warrant for your arrest, a lawyer may file the appropriate motions to have that warrant recalled and a court date set for the charge. Otherwise if you are arrested the expense may be much higher to obtain bond. The quicker you react the less likely you will suffer an arrest.
    Ellman and Ellman PC
    Ellman and Ellman PC | Kevin Ellmann
    Contact an experienced DUI defense attorney ASAP for a free consultation. Good luck!
    Turn yourself in, before you are arrested.
    Hire an attorney to help you take care of the warrant. Top quash (remove/ecall) the warrant, you need to appear in court, in person, before the judge. In such case, you would best be served by having an attorney help you.
    You need to find out what the basis for the charge is, and it appears you will be needing a criminal defense attorney for both charges.
    Hire an attorney.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C. | Michael Morgan
    You can contact the court to determine their process on quashing warrant or you can pay the amount due on the warrant. Email transmissions to clients of this office presumably contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. The use, distribution, transmittal or re-transmittal by any unintended recipient of any communication is prohibited without our express approval in writing or by email. If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender and delete all copies.
    Law Office of Michael E. Dailey
    Law Office of Michael E. Dailey | Michael E. Dailey
    You may be able to get a lawyer to intervene on your behalf and determine what the new charge is all about. If you move quickly enough, your lawyer might be able to work out a voluntary surrender and signature bond to get you out until the matter can be resolved. If you wait until you have been picked up, the process can be more difficult.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    You need to hire an attorney to answer your questions and to ask questions and to give you advice and guidance.
    Myles Hahn III Attorney at Law | Myles Hahn III
    One possibility is to speak to the police and find out if there is a warrant. If there is, then they will arrest you. Then you will need an attorney to represent you.
    Law Office of Gregory Crain | Gregory Crain
    You should retain counsel.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    The Chastaine Law Office
    The Chastaine Law Office | Michael Chastaine
    You really need to talk to an attorney. This can be very serious. Without more information I can give you more guidance. You will need to get back into court to get the warrant lifted. An attorney can help you out with this. Good luck.
    Address this matter ASAP, including consulting with and retaining a criminal lawyer. Good luck.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Hire an attorney in your area to address the criminal charges against you. It will take many, many months to resolve.
    You need to contact the court and arrange to have the warrant quashed. You want to make sure you are not holding anything illegal when you go to court.
    Contact the court for a hearing date. Or, contact the prosecutor's office.
    You'll need a lawyer, because only a lawyer can go to court to recall the warrant without you there. Go by yourself and you don't need me to tell you what will likely happen.
12 3 4 5 6 7 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney