What will happen with third degree retail fraud in Michigan? 4 Answers as of March 03, 2011

I pleaded not guilty to 3rd degree retail fraud. I have to pay $200 already, what happens next? I have no criminal record and I'm 19 years old. I have a court date to have a pre-trial conference, what does this mean?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Austin Legal Services, PLC
Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
In Michigan, 3rd degree retail fraud is a misdemeanor with punishment up to one year in jail and fines up to $2,000 or three times the amount of the items stolen. You can be ordered to pay restitution (which it sounds like you may have already done), perform community service, and be placed on probation. More than likely if it is your first offense you will just be placed on probation. You may be eligible for a diversion program which would keep this incident off of your record.

It would be wise to retain an experienced criminal defense attorney. Too much is at stake and the consequences are too high to do it alone. The amount of money in fines and costs that a good attorney can help you save will more than pay for any retainer cost in the long run. Feel free to give us a call for a free, no obligation consultation.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/3/2011
Halprin Law Office
Halprin Law Office | Richard Halprin
In Michigan, if adequately represented, you could work out a resolution that would prevent the charge from going on your record without going to trial. It depends on particular facts, the court and the defense attorney, but it is realistic. When is the next date and who is the judge?
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/2/2011
Garmo & Kiste, PC
Garmo & Kiste, PC | Brian Garmo
If you pleaded not guilty at an Arraignment, then your case will be set for a Pre-Trial Conference. It is best to retain an attorney so he or she can review your case and possibly negotiate a plea deal. Since you are 19 and do not have a criminal record, there is a possibility to keep this off your record. Feel free to contact me directly to discuss this in further detail. Please feel free to contact me if you should have any questions or need anything further. Very Truly Yours,
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/2/2011
Klisz Law Office, PLLC
Klisz Law Office, PLLC | Timothy J. Klisz
You are in the criminal system. You will have to either negotiate a deal or go to trial. It is certainly advised to obtain the best attorney you can afford. I have handled dozens of these cases all over Metro Detroit. I can usually keep it off your criminal record under a plea deal with no jail time, depending on the Court. Call me anytime to discuss in further detail.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: