What will happen with a Notice and Order to Show Cause for Missing Jury Duty? 2 Answers as of July 16, 2011

In November 2010, I was supposed to appear for Jury Duty, but was not able to show because I was suffering from Double Inguinal Herina. I called the Jury Duty Department and explain the issue and that I was about to have Hernia Repair Surgery, in which I did. They said they would call me back,. but they nevered did. 8 months later, I get a Notice and Order to show Cause Form from Jury Duty Court. My question is, do I need a lawyer to represent me. I have the medical documentation from my hosptial that I had surgery and was suffering from this medical condition.

Aaronson Law Firm
Aaronson Law Firm | Michael Aaronson
Bring everything to your hearing and explain it to judge
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
You might want to take a lawyer with you because you are the target of the hearing. It really depends on the attitude of the judge. (And, you know that the clerk is going to claim that you were supposed to call back or something other than that they are at fault.) Personally I believe that your records showing you had surgery should be sufficient. However, generally when one must miss jury duty for good cause, one is supposed to reschedule to come when one is better.