What will happen with my possession of marijuana charge? 2 Answers as of May 27, 2011

I got charged with possession of marijuana (about 1.5-2 grams) in Missouri but I live in Kansas. What can I expect? Can I get diversion? Will I face jail time? This is my first offense.

If this charge originated in Missouri, then it will have to be prosecuted in Missouri. The Missouri statute of limitations applies to how long the State has to bring charges. In Kansas the statute of limitations for criminal offenses is 5 years, it may be different in Missouri. Missouri's laws concerning diversion, probation, etc will also apply. You should consult with an attorney who is licensed to practice law in Missouri for exact terms as to how these questions apply there.
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
It should be charged as a Class A misdemeanor in Missouri, which is punishable by up to 1 year in county jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000. Most likely you will receive probation, but there is no "diversion" in Missouri. We have "SIS" probation which is similar.