What will happen with my missed court date? 14 Answers as of February 26, 2014

I missed a court date for driving with a suspended license. I wasn't able to get my license reinstated before the date and I missed it because I was out of state on a family matter. What will happen? What should I do?

Get a lawyer. Get your license reinstated. Go to court and deal with the matter.
Hudson Bair | Hudson Bair
You need to talk to a lawyer, if you missed a court date you have a warrant for your arrest and you need to clear it up. A lawyer may be able to help you with the bench warrant and extend the time for you to get your license reinstated.
Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
You need to go back to court and explain it to the Judge about your emergency with the proof. There will be a bench warrant and if the Judge believes you will recall the warrant. Be prepared to deal with the citation at that time.
You should hire a lawyer to go to court to recall the warrant. A lawyer can do this without you present, so it is less risky for you.
After missing a court date, a bench warrant is issued for your arrest. If you go to the court and tell the bailiff that you have a warrant, your case will be called and you can explain to the judge why you missed the court date. It is unlikely that you will do jail time under the facts you stated.
    Fluhr & Moore, LLC | Steven S. Fluhr
    You should contact the court administrator where you were supposed to appear.? That person should be able to let you know if the case is in warrant status or whether you have some other option other than posting bond and turning yourself in.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Get a lawyer to get the matter back on calendar.
    TAMBASCO & ASSOCIATES, P.C. Attorneys at Law | R. Tambasco
    If this was an infraction then a judgment against you along with points assessed on your BMV record. You may have to the pay the costs and fines and comply with whatever directive the BMV gives you to reinstate your license.. If however, it was a misdemeanor charge, then you may have a warrant out for your failure to appear. You may wish to call the court's office to determine this.
    MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
    The Court needs to be contacted to reschedule. There may be an arrest warrant outstanding, which may require bail.
    Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
    Contact judge's office immediately and request hearing be reset. Alternative is court will issue a failure to appear warrant and you will be arrested and held till judge lets you out.
    The Rogers Law Firm
    The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
    Hire a lawyer to lift the warrant for you and get your ticket amended to a non-moving, no-point violation. If you plead guilty or are convicted, you will lose your driving privileges for 1 year and you will pay a fine. If your ticket is in state circuit court, the judge could also sentence you to jail time, but that rarely happens.
    There is a bench warrant for your arrest and suspension of your driving privileges for additional time for the failure to show up in court.
    You probably have a bench warrant issued for your failure to appear. Contact the court and an experienced criminal defense attorney to help you resolve this matter as quickly as possible before it gets worse.
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
    A warrant for your arrest will be entered for your failure to appear at a court hearing. You will need to hire an attorney to file a Motion to Recall the Warrant or turn yourself in. If you turn yourself in, it could be awhile before you are given a bond. With an attorney, they can file the Motion to Recall the Warrant, schedule a hearing and at the hearing you turn yourself in, the Judge sets bond if any, then you can be released. Less time spent in jail. If your case is in the Tampa Bay area, and you would like a free consultation, contact me at my office.