What will happen with my first DUI? 24 Answers as of August 05, 2011

What will happen with my first DUI in California?

If convicted you will received 3 years probation, a fine of about $2000, jail in the form of a work program which can vary between 2 and 10 days depending on the judge, county and facts of your case and you will have to complete a first offender program to keep/ restore your driving privilege.
Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
It depends on several factors.
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC | Thomas A. Medford, Jr.
Sadly I am not admitted to the practice of law in California and cannot specifically to you question however I anticipate there could be an opportunity for admission to an alcohol diversion program but you could benefit from consulting an attorney about you options.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
Probation, fines and court costs, alcohol highway safety program.
A.L.A. Law Group, LLP
A.L.A. Law Group, LLP | Lauren M. Mayfield
You can expect a 30 day suspension with a possibility of getting a restricted license for 5 months following the suspension if you are found in violation of a DUI by the DMV. You only have 10 days to contact the DMV to schedule a hearing to fight the suspension of your license. From court you can expect an alcohol class, fines and fees, 3 years probation and possibly the requirement of an IID device installed in your car. Some counties will also require jail time which can typically be done as cal trans labor. You should speak with a criminal defense attorney right away to make sure every effort is made to prevent your license suspension and a conviction.
    I am a New York attorney, and your summary says you got a DWI in California. Unless you injured someone or had a very high breath test you will pay a fine and your license will be suspended for a period of time, usually 90 days. .
    The first DUI can lead to fines jail and treatment or at least treatment and fines and probation. Also everywhere they will suspend your license.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    What will happen with my first DUI in California? You need to consult with and retain a California attorney that is conversant in DWI defense.
    California has specific sentencing laws concerning DUI that may be different than Kansas Law. Since I am a Kansas Attorney, I am not familiar with California laws. I would suggest you consult with a DUI attorney in the area of California where you are charged.
    I do not know what will happened on a DUI conviction in California. If you are wanting to know what will happen to your Alabama driver's license if you are convicted for DUI in California, you would likely have your license suspended for 90 days for a first time conviction.Rick Williams
    For your first DUI your first court date is your arraignment there you will be told your rights and what the charges are against you. You will also be told what the penalties will be if you plead guilty at that time. You will be asked if you plead guilty or not guilty. If you plead not guilty a pre-trial date will be set, and your attorney will pick up a copy of the police report and charges. The pre-trials continue until both sides have all the information that they are allowed and then either a plea bargain is reached or the case goes to trial. The penalties for first offense dui (no priors within 10-years) Probation: 3-to-5 years informal probation Jail: 48-hours and up to 6 months jail time may be imposed Court fines: minimum $390.00 fine to maximum of $1000.00note, however that the $390.00 minimum fine, after adding penalty assessments and miscellaneous court fees, results in a total amount due of approximately $1500.00-to-$2000.00. Dui School: attendance at first offender program. Court may also order: impound vehicle up to 30-days if owned by defendant and/or ignition interlock device for up to 3-years Increased penalties for dui enhancements: Refusal to take a test; an additional 48-hours of jail A passenger the vehicle under age 14; additional 48-hours of jail Speeding = 30 mph on freeway or = 20 mph on street or highwayadditional 60-days jail BAC = .153-month first offender program BAC .15 to .196-month first offender program BAC = .209-month first offender program.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    If you lose or are convicted NH's mandatory minimum is: a 9 month loss of license, $500 fine and requires a 3 day class prior to restoration. 6 months of the license loss will be suspended if you enroll in the class within 45 days of conviction. It is my understanding that California will not recognize the NH DMV license loss per a DMV suspension. If you lose the DWI in court CA will impose a loss. You should check with a CA attorney about CA consequences as I am only up to date on NH law. Good luck.
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
    You will have to speak with a California lawyer. Each state has it's own laws and consequences for those laws. California DUI laws may be much different than here in MA. Look on the Internet or call the California Bar Association for assistance. Good luck.
    Osterman Law LLC
    Osterman Law LLC | Mark D. Osterman
    I cannot respond to what may happen to you in California. In Alaska you'll spend 3 days in jail. You will pay a fine, have your license suspended, lose a portion of your automobile, and could have an interlock device put on your car depending upon the level of your intoxication. There was an editorial in the Anchorage Daily News that described a first drunk driving is costing about $10,000 in the course of 3 years for the inconvenience, increased insurance, and time off work.
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    It totally will depend upon many factors. What was your blood alcohol result? Did the officer observe your driving and why did he pull you over? Did you take a field sobriety test and how did you do on it? If you have a "defensible case" then one thing that could happen is your case could be dismissed or reduced to a lesser charge. You should immediately go to wklawdui.com to learn more about how to defend DUI's with an experienced DUI lawyer.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    You need to change your state. You have this question going out to lawyers in Texas, not California.
    After being charged with a DUI, there will be an arraignment set up (which is the first court date). This generally where your attorney will begin negotiating with the prosecutor in defending your case. After which comes pre-trial hearings where negotiations can continue, and potential other motions with the court. If the case is not resolved in by the pretrial phase, then you would go to trial (which is where a jury would first come into the picture if it was a jury trial). As for penalties, a first DUI can include fines up to $1,000, Jail time potentially up to 6 months by statute, alcohol program up to 9 months, community service, probation, and other programs. That is generally worse case scenario for a standard first offense DUI with no enhancements, and those penalties can be significantly less when negotiated, and potentially the DUI charges reduced or dismissed completely. I would highly recommend consulting a DUI attorney regarding your case.
    Law Office of Mark Bruce
    Law Office of Mark Bruce | Mark Corwin Bruce
    It depends on the county you were arrested in. Most counties give you a hefty fine, three years of informal probation, and alcohol restrictions. It is rare for a county to give jail time on a first time DUI. If your blood alcohol level was over .15, however, look for 10 days in jail.
    3-5 years probation, fines of about $1800, a 3, 6, or 9 month alcohol program (which will cost you at least several hundred), a misdemeanor criminal record, 2 points on your driving record, a 6 - 10 month driver's license suspension, a hit on your credit score (potentially). Contact a DUI specialist, because even a slight reduction in charge can help you avoid some or most of these consequences. And remember the DMV prosecutes you separately. You need an attorney who is experienced in handling both the court and the DMV cases.
    Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein
    Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein | Neal L. Weinstein
    If aggravated and/or above .15 test, there is the possibility of 48 hours in jail, or alternative sentencing, with a mandatory 90 day suspension, reinstatement fees, as well as DEEP or drunk school to take before you get your license back. However, notwithstanding any test result, you should immediately hire an attorney, because in most cases, the attorney can negotiate a better result for you than you can yourself.
    Answer Applies to: Maine
    Law Offices of Christopher Jackson
    Law Offices of Christopher Jackson | Christopher L. Jackson
    You will need to contact a lawyer in California
    Answer Applies to: Kentucky
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    If you are convicted and your blood alchohol level was between .08 and .15 your penalty will be, as follows: 3-5 years probation a fine of about $1900 5 days in the work program and a 3 month Drinking Driver Program. The penalty and the length of your work programmay vary depending on the blood level, whether there was an accident and whether there are prior convictions. You should expect a license suspension of 1 to 4 months; longer if you were underage
    That would depend on California Law. I don't practice there and honestly avoid California like the plague. Their gun laws and corporate taxes are very silly and those who enact them are in my opinion more than a little loony.
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    I don't practice in California. Please try contacting a California-licensed attorney who practices in the jurisdiction (essentially county) where the DUI occurred.