What will happen with my felony drug possession charge? 7 Answers as of July 12, 2013

I was recently in a situation where I bought pain pills from police. I bought them for pain. I am Self employed and cannot afford health insurance. I did not purchase these for entertainment. Yet I am facing arraignment on the 21st of April and I understand that I could be charged with a felony. Please help.

When charged with a felony, you potentially face one or more years in prison if convicted, on a misdemeanor, you face up to 6-12 months in jail on each count. If you have priors, they are penalty enhancements under the 3 Strikes rules. If this constitutes a probation or parole violation, factor those new and old charge[s] in as well. Multiple counts and charges just make your situation worse, of course.

Effective plea-bargaining, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail/prison, or at least dramatically reduce it, depending upon all the facts and evidence. Not exactly a do it yourself project in court for someone who does not know how to effectively represent himself against a professional prosecutor intending to convict. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion program, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial. If serious about hiring counsel, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help use whatever defenses there may be.
Law Office of Joe Dane
Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
The good news is that if you are a first time offender, you should be eligible for a drug diversion program. Your attorney can advise you of your options... But pleading guilty should only be discussed after you see if you have any complete defenses to the charges (entrapment, search issues, Miranda issues, etc.)
Robert Mortland
Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
You could be charged with a felony. However, if this is your first offense you will likely be eligible for a drug treatment program pursuant to proposition 36. If you complete the program the charges will be dismissed. You need to speak to your attorney as soon as you can to fight these charges.
Time to get a lawyer. Don't go to a felony arraignment by yourself. Expect bail to be set.
Hire an attorney to assist you. If you can not afford an attorney request the services of the public defender.
    The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco
    The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco | Victor J Mazzaraco
    I'll be better able to assist you if I know the specific code section you're charged with violating.
    You need the help of an attorney. It sounds like you may have good mitigating circumstances, if not a complete defense. Also, there is always a chance that the case will not be charged as a felony or, better yet, not charged at all. However, assuming it is, a good attorney will be able to help you defend and negotiate the case.