What will happen when I go to court for shoplifting? 2 Answers as of May 11, 2012

This happened at bealls outlet in florida.. I was not arrested I was just given a ticket telling me to.be in court

The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
If you have no prior record, the prosecutor most likely will allow you to go into a Pre-trial Diversion program which would involve taking a class probably related to petit theft if it was a misdemeanor and it probably was or you would have been arrested. There are some fees related to the program but when you are done with the program the prosecutor will usually announce a no prosecute and the case is dismissed. It helps to have a lawyer to negotiate for you especially if you are nervous about going to Court but if it was a misdemeanor you probably will be okay if you plan to enter a plea of no contest and enter the program I just told you about.
R. Jason de Groot, P.A
R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
If it is a first offense, you may be offered a deferred prosecution agreement, which means you will be on probation for a number of months, do some community service hours, and pay costs and fines. The important things to look for are a withholding of adjudication and a dropping of the case once you complete the conditions. Don't get in trouble again with shoplifting, after the third time a petit theft can be a felony.