What will happen to someone if they have been arrested and charged with a DUI if it involved an accident? 10 Answers as of August 13, 2015

My son was arrested for a DUI after recently involved in an accident because he drove intoxicated. This charge came, even though no other cars were involved. I am looking for an attorney specialized in this area to help my son. What should we look for?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
There are many lawyers who defend DUI (OWI) cases, and many or most have dealt with charges that involve injury caused by intoxicated operation. Check with your friends and relatives for people who believe they have had skilled representation. The Yellow Pages can help. You can also seek a lawyer online. (You might try Avvo.com.) State Bar organisations often have lawyer referral and information services, so you could also check with them.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 8/13/2015
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
The best way to find an attorney is through a referral from a friend or relative.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/13/2015
Anderson Law Office
Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
You should contact a dui attorney in your area that has experience in the county the offense occurred. This is serious and he needs representation.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 8/13/2015
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Get him an attorney and keep him quiet.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/13/2015
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
Ask yourself 3 things: - Will this lawyer actually be the one representing your son? Or does this lawyer simply pass the case off to "one" of the associates. - Does this lawyer specialize in DUI? Or does this lawyer take whatever walks in the door? -Is the quoted fee the "actual" fee that you will be paying? Or are there plenty of hidden fees that will hit you when you don?t simply plead guilty?
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/13/2015
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    If there was an accident you need to be even more invested in fighting it. A DUI conviction can mean the other party in the accident can come after you for punitive damages.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/12/2015
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    How old is your son? Having the two charges so close together will not help. He needs to have a drug and alcohol evaluation and start treatment classes by the time of the arraignment. I would try to have the accident matter dropped in a plea of guilty for the DUI. Depending on the City it occurred in, will determine the sentencing and probation length. He will likely be fined, pay for probation fees, do community service, attend treatment and AAA meetings, have an interlock device installed and be on probation 3 to 5 years. Any violation likely will lead to jail time. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 8/12/2015
    Grantland, Blodgett, Shaw & Abel
    Grantland, Blodgett, Shaw & Abel | Gregory M. Abel
    The accident may result in other charges as well. You should consult with a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 8/12/2015
    The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
    Look for an attorney who is experienced defending DUI cases, who tries them regularly and is familiar with the courthouse where the case is being heard.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 8/12/2015
    Ferguson & Ferguson
    Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
    Depends on what city and state your in.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 8/12/2015
Click to View More Answers:

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!