What will happen to someone accused of child molestation who is in jail but has never been sentenced? 12 Answers as of March 24, 2013

My kid's dad was accused of child molestation on someone else and he has six charges. He has been in there two years without getting a bond and has never been sentence yet. What do you think is going on? I'm curious. I think he is innocent even though I dislike him.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Edward  D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law
Edward D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law | Edward D. Dowling IV
I would need further information to answer, such as was he convicted at trial and not sentenced yet or was he not convicted and is waiting for a trial, etc. he should hire an attorney and disclose all the facts and circumstances.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/24/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
He is waiting for a jury trial.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 3/21/2013
Law Offices of Jonathan Mincis | Jonathan J. Mincis, Esq.,
He is awaiting trial? If he cannot post he will not be released while the case is pending.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 3/21/2013
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
He is probably waiting for trial and has not plead guilty.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/21/2013
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. What stage of his criminal proceedings is he in? Has he been tried and convicted? If he has an attorney, you should be discussing this with his attorney. If he does not have an attorney, I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your husband's case. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze his case and advise you of his options.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/21/2013
    The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
    You should ask his lawyer as I have no information about the case.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 3/21/2013
    Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
    His bond is high, and the case has been in a status posture for a long time. With six sex offenses, investigations could be on-going, and beware than in felony cases, it is not uncommon for them to take a VERY long time to reach trial or disposition. His lawyer could put in a demand for a speedy trial, which would set a time limit for the prosecution to go forth with the prosecution, or face dismissal of the charges.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 3/21/2013
    Law Offices of Marshall Tauber
    Law Offices of Marshall Tauber | Marshall Tauber
    Find out who his lawyer is and contact him/her. If he doesn't have a lawyer he needs one.? Also, find out if he is being held on some other matter or just this accusation that will help assist a lawyer in determining what is going on.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 3/21/2013
    Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
    Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
    Don't have enough facts to answer. It may be that with 6 charges, the case has yet to go to trial and the court has set the bail so high that he can't get out. If he ends up being convicted, the time he spent in jail will be credited to his overall sentence, which with 6 counts of child molestation is going to be quite substantial. The person to ask your question is to the attorney who represents your kid's dad.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 3/21/2013
    Toivonen Law Office | John Toivonen
    Criminal Sexual Contact 1st Degree can result in a life sentence. CSC 2nd and 3rd Degree carry a maximum of 15 years, and CSC 4th can result in a two year prison term.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 3/20/2013
    Law Office of James Gandy
    Law Office of James Gandy | James Gandy
    This is an impossible question to answer. There is simply not enough information here to answer the question and, if you want to know the exact sentence, there is no ability to fix this question; to answer this question, an attorney would need to know, at a minimum, the following: What are the charges? Where is this - state and county? Was there a plea agreement or trial? [It appears that he has plead guilty to charges or been found guilty because you mention that he has not been sentenced and this could help explain what time he faces]; even with all this information, it is possible that an attorney cannot answer this question to your satisfaction. At best, they could provide a guideline of the minimum and maximum sentence for a particular charge. They would be unable to tell you what your child's father actually faced. If this is California, and if the charges were PC 288 - Lewd Acts with a Child (under 14 years old) he could face any of the following - up to 8 years in prison, if force was used, up to 10 years in prison, or if there was three or more acts that took place over three or more months, up to 16 years in prison. Since I have no idea what the charges actually are, I can offer no better guidance than this.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/20/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney