What will happen to the perpetrator and will my brother be able to get his money back? 4 Answers as of November 05, 2014

My brother dropped his wallet at the gym and went back a couple minutes later to grab it, but couldn't find it. His wallet was found underneath a bench in the gym but over $500 was stolen. The perpetrator was recorded on CCTV and all the evidence is there.

Dennis John Woods, Attorney at Law | Dennis John Woods
Your brother must make a complaint and the police will prosecute. Under the victims of crimes procedure, part of his sentence should be to make the victim whole again. That means pay him back.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
If you are lucky. If found guilty and placed on probation, the court can order restitution. Or, you can file small claims.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
The perpetrator could be charged with larceny under $1000, which is a misdemeanor in this state. The camera evidence would be useful to the prosecution. Your brother would then have a judgment against the perpetrator for that amount of money that was wrongfully taken from him.
Whoever is convicted of stealing your wallet will be ordered to pay restitution as part of her sentence. If not, you can always sue in civil or small claims court.