What will happen to our divorce if I have a lawyer and my ex husband don't? 12 Answers as of April 24, 2013

I have served my ex husband with divorce papers six months ago, we already settled child custody and child support and how much. He has a lawyer, I don't.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
There are ways to process a divorce through with only one party represented. Your attorney(or his, if he has the attorney)should know what to do.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/29/2012
You can finish your divorce without an attorney but you have to follow all the rules and complete the correct forms. Check your court's web site. Always better to have an attorney if the other side has one.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/28/2012
Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
His lawyer is there to protect his interests, not yours. Without an attorney, you will have to look out for your own interests. If the matter goes to court, you will have to act according to the applicable court rules and rules of evidence. You are at a disadvantage not having a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/28/2012
John Russo | John Russo
Whats your question?
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 4/15/2013
Donaldson Stewart, PC
Donaldson Stewart, PC | Monica H. Donaldson Stewart
If he is unrepresented, then he is representing himself and needs to deal with your lawyer on his own behalf.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 11/26/2012
    Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
    Being unrepresented can place you at a disadvantage. You can consult with an attorney to review your rights and options without retaining that person to represent you if finances are tight.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 11/26/2012
    Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation
    Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation | Elizabeth Jones
    You have the right to get an attorney if you don't the court with hold you to the same standard as if you do.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 11/26/2012
    Lombardi Law LLC
    I suggest that you get an attorney if he has one. If his income is more than yours you can ask the court to have him pay the attorney fees during the time the case is progressing (called interim fees) and after the case is done.
    Answer Applies to: Alaska
    Replied: 11/26/2012
    John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law
    John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law | John Kirchner
    You posting doesn't make sense because you ask what will happen if your husband does not have a lawyer & then you say he has a lawyer. He is not your ex-husband until the divorce is granted by the court. Neither of you needs a lawyer to finish the divorce, but if neither of you has a lawyer it may be more difficult for you to learn how to finish things up.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 11/26/2012
    Victor Varga | Victor Varga
    Not sure what you are looking for here. If you have concerns that things aren't going the way you want them to go, you should hire a lawyer to advise you.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland
    Replied: 11/26/2012
    Law Office of Cindy S. Vova, P.A. | Cindy S. Vova
    You question is inconsistent. First you indicate you have a lawyer and your husband does not. In your last sentence you say the opposite. If you have an attorney you should direct your inquiry to that attorney. If you do not, you should contact your husband's counsel and ask if he/she can move the case towards a final judgment of divorce, also known as the dissolution of marriage. Neither party is required to have an attorney to obtain a divorce in Florida. However, it is always a good idea to at least pay for a consultation with an attorney, or have an attorney review any settlement before you sign it. Should you not do so, you may well regret it later when it is too late to change what you sign off on.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 11/26/2012
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney