What will happen to my son caught on drugs? 26 Answers as of July 11, 2013

My friend’s son was caught on drugs twice. One time it was his fault. Second he was innocent passenger with his friend who had possession of drug. My friend’s son has a lawyer who already took $ 1000 and asked him to sign a contract to pay $ 2000. How can I help them to come out? This boy made a promise with his mother and left all his bad old friends, serious with his life. He wants to get admission in good university for engineering. Is his bad record going to deny his admission?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Scott Tibbedeaux
Law Offices of Scott Tibbedeaux | Scott Tibbedeaux
24494 The answer will depend on your friend's age (minor or adult.) He should seek counsel, if he has not already done so. These questions should be brought up to his lawyer. As far as the universities are concerned, he should contact each one on an individual basis to see what their admission's requirements are.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/13/2011
Edward  D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law
Edward D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law | Edward D. Dowling IV
This response is general information only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. However, if your friend's son already has an attorney hopefully he can get a favorable outcome on the second charge. Depending on the university and the outcome of the caswe it may or may not hinder him in his efforts to get into a good university.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/5/2011
Thomas J. Tomko Attorney At law
Thomas J. Tomko Attorney At law | Thomas J. Tomko
Convictions may not prevent admission into college, but it will affect the ability to get a license or to get a job. When choosing a career path, the criminal record should be disclosed to see whether the convictions will be a bar to ever working in a certain field, like medicine, health care, teaching, etc. I hope that this was helpful.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/5/2011
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
Depending on how he's charged (misdemeanor vs felony), $2000 may be a heck of a deal! Yes, a drug conviction will affect his ability to get into some colleges and his ability to get employment.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 7/1/2011
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
Other than hiring him an attorney or paying the one he has, you cant help except to exert moral guidance. Yes, criminal records of arrest and convictions will affect him the rest of his life.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/1/2011
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
    The state will provide a lawyer if he can't afford it. He can't get ad for college with a drug charge and most schools won't take him.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 6/30/2011
    Law Offices of John Carney
    Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
    Your summary states that your friend's son has a prior drug arrest and was arrested "for drugs". That is not enough information to tell you what the sentence will be or whether it will affect job eligibility or school admission. If he is under 19 he will likely not go to jail or have a criminal record. If it is a misdemeanor or just possession as opposed to a sale of drugs he will likely get probation unless he is currently on probation from his first arrest. If he was on probation from the first arrest he might have to go to drug court or jail. You should make sure they have retained an experienced and well respected criminal attorney with good connections with the local prosecutors. That will give him the best chance at avoiding a jail term or criminal record.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 6/30/2011
    Craig W. Elhart, P.C.
    Craig W. Elhart, P.C. | Craig Elhart
    I don't know the admission standards at various universities he may wish to apply to. At this time, the young man is represented by an attorney and he should be looking to that attorney for advise.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 6/30/2011
    Law Offices of Christopher Jackson
    Law Offices of Christopher Jackson | Christopher L. Jackson
    What county are the charges in? Maybe we can keep the charge from becoming a conviction.
    Answer Applies to: Kentucky
    Replied: 7/11/2013
    Andersen Law PLLC
    Andersen Law PLLC | Craig Andersen
    Well, it doesn't matter whose drugs were in the vehicle, if your son had dominion and control over the drugs. In other words, if they were within his reach, he can be prosecuted. I have dealt with a similar situation with my daughter. She doesn't use drugs but some of her friends do. She allowed one friend to leave his pot pipe and cigarettes in her car. All I can tell her is she will be in trouble if she gets stopped. A drug conviction can have big consequences for anyone but especially people under 21. If convicted, your son may lose his drivers' license. He will be ineligible for any federal grants or loans. The drug conviction can be vacated eventually but your son is really flirting with disaster. By some miracle, my parents managed to make me think and consider consequences at the age of 16. Even so, I make mistakes. I invite you to share this message with your son. I would not be where I am today had I not awoken a capacity to consider consequences before acting. But personal responsibility is essential to success in this world. Engineering requires successful passing of classes, graduation and even licensing tests. Moreover, an engineer is responsible for everything he or she designs. His or her profession does not allow for absences in concentration or impairment of one's ability to handle complex issues. I don't know about you but I don't want to move into an office building designed and built by someone who was impaired. Some of the jobs your son may desire with the government also require an exceptional crime-free background. Right now your son is on the precipice between child and adult. If he continues to break the law he may not be eligible to work for the military, NASA or many private engineering firms. He needs to pull out of this nosedive now while he still can.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 6/30/2011
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    If charges are still pending getting into an engineering school may be difficult. You should get an attorney for your son if he has pending charges. Find and hire the best you can in your locality.
    Answer Applies to: New Hampshire
    Replied: 6/30/2011
    Theodore W. Robinson, P.C.
    Theodore W. Robinson, P.C. | Theodore W. Robinson
    If he is convicted, it could adversely affect his admission to a good school and stop him from eventually being licensed. I suggest you hire an attorney for him to fight the charges since he may be innocent of them. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 6/30/2011
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    It is unclear specifically what your question is. The potential penalties your friend's son faces will be based upon the specific charges against him and the specific drug he is charged with possessing. As far as his criminal record goes, this may interfere with his ability to apply for jobs and school in the future. He may want to consider hiring an attorney after his case is finished to pursue an expungement to have his record cleared before applying to schools. It sounds from your question as though he has already hired a lawyer to handle this case, and if so, these questions would be best answered by that individual.
    Answer Applies to: Louisiana
    Replied: 6/30/2011
    Law Office of Phillip Weiser
    Law Office of Phillip Weiser | Phillip L. Weiser
    Some universities will consider him not eligible for admission with a history of drug convictions. You should consult with an attorney who is experienced in expungements to see if the past convictions could be cleared from his record.
    Answer Applies to: Kansas
    Replied: 6/30/2011
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    I don't understand your question "how can I help them to come out?" It depends upon exactly what happens with the charge as to whether it will affect future college admissions. E.g., if not convicted, that would be the best outcome.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Law Office of Jared Altman
    Law Office of Jared Altman | Jared Altman
    I really don't know if college applications ask about criminal histories. They might. I think his lawyer is cheap. I would probably charge more for a second offense. Under New York law everyone in a motor vehicle is presumed to have possession of anything in the car.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Law Office of Richard Williams
    Law Office of Richard Williams | Richard Williams
    Sounds like your son's friend is starting life out on the wrong foot. If the arrest for the drug possession are felonies, and he is convicted, he will likley have problems being accepted to a university. Even if he is admitted to a good university he may face troubles if he is seeking a degree or profession where a license to practice is required.There are programs in many jurisdictions (Drug Court) that may provide a resolution for his criminal charges as well as the drug treatment and education that he needs to get all of this behind him. If a person is admitted and successfully completes Drug Court the charges against them are dismissed. In some jurisdictions the charges do not necessarily have to be drug possession charges but must be drug related and may include theft of property, receiving stolen property, forgery, or burglary.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Pontrello Law
    Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
    Pay the lawyer to do a good job. if done correctly it may not be too much trouble in the future.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Goolsby Law Office
    Goolsby Law Office | Richard Goolsby
    Since you indicated he already has a criminal defense attorney, I would recommend that he consult with his own lawyer about all his rights and options. Good luck!
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law | Jonathan S. Willett
    If he has a lawyer, you need to work with that person to be sure he still gets probation. The likelihood of that depends upon what drug he had and how much. I also depends upon whether his conviction is for possession or distribution. In terms of engineering school, the school will either run a background check or ask on the application, so you should ask the lawyer about sealing the record before he applies. If that procedure is not available, it will affect his chances.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    The boy would not have been charged with possession drugs that were found on another person's body, nor would he be charged if the drugs were not in his care, custody, or control (which by case law could mean within his reach, in open view, could be smelled, etc.) Say for instance, if the drugs were found in the driver's side pocket & the boy was a passenger, he would not be charged. So, his innocence may not be so innocent. As far as helping him, talk to the lawyer. Does not sound like a huge fee for a kid on his second drug case. The lawyer may be planning to raise issues about possession if the drug was not in the boy's care, custody, and control or there may be a search and seizure issue. If the boy has a drug problem, then it needs to be addressed by counsel whether in or out patient. He needs to be evaluated to see if he has a problem; his denials should fall on deaf ears given the circumstances. If he does not have a drug problem then he does have other problems such as attitude problem, too much time on his hands, not enough responsibility (such as a job), etc. I would put him on a VERY short leash. Whether or not he can get into a university and whether or not he can get licensed in his field of choice depends on the outcomes of the cases and the policy of the individual school but it is not good to have drug convictions - especially 2.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Michael Breczinski
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    What happened to the first time? Did he plead to the charge? You can be denied financial aid if you have drug convictions. If both charges are still pending then maybe something can be worked out to get the matters to go away without a record. He needs a good attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Austin Legal Services, PLC
    Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
    That would be up to the university and the admission board. Even college has their own way of dealing with such issues. He needs to retain an experienced criminal lawyer to review the police report and evidence against him. There may be errors that could get the charges reduced or dismissed.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC
    Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC | Thomas A. Medford, Jr.
    At this juncture the best thing is to have attorney represent represent the young man. A conviction on a drug charge can affect a person"s chances to get into a "good university". A criminal defense attorney should be able to advise the defendant on his trial and sentencing options and the possibility of probation before judgment or sealing a conviction record.
    Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    You never want to have a drug conviction on your record. If this is a crime of drug possession only then there may be a drug diversion program that your sons lawyer can get him into to avoid a conviction or jail time. Definitely you should consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney in your area where you live to discuss all possible options available to him.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/29/2011
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 5 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!