What will happen to my immigration application if I get a divorce? 6 Answers as of March 02, 2011

My husband filed divorce while we are doing my papers for being a greencard holder. What will happen to my application?

If you were not granted your green card, if your husband divorces you, your application is cancelled since you are no longer married. If you are the victim of abuse or cruelty by your husband you may be able to file an self-petition (Form I-360) and could be granted a Green Card even if divorced.
If you do not have even a two year green card, you are not eligible for the green card and the application process will terminate. If you already have the two year card, you can file for the permanent card on your own. However the timing of the divorce is important there so you need to make sure you follow those guidelines to preserve eligibility.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
If your application is based on your husband and you are either divorced or still married but not together, the application will be denied. If you know this is going to happen, you should consider withdrawing the application to avoid a denial and possibly being placed in removal proceedings. Consult with an attorney about your situation.
You will have no sponsor in green card. We may help you to file application for yourself as battered spouse. Please contact us for assistance.
You must be married for two.
    As I don't know what stage in the immigration process you and your husband are at - contact my office for a free legal consultation so I can advise you properly.