What will happen to my fiancé who was caught committing theft while on probation? 2 Answers as of April 01, 2011

My fiancé (Hispanic) is currently on probation for driving without a license. He also had 2 tickets. 1 for speeding and 1 for seatbelt violation. About a month ago he was arrested for trespassing and theft by taking. He says he is not guilty of trespassing because he didn't know he was trespassing. He did not see a sign where he was walking through (he cannot read English anyway). Please tell me what could happen to him.

Andrew R. Lynch, P.C.
Andrew R. Lynch, P.C. | Andrew R. Lynch
If he is on probation, as opposed to having a pending case where he has pled not guilty, the court can consider any violation of the law, specifically traffic tickets, a violation of the terms of probation and revoke some or potentially all of his remaining probation. He should contact an attorney now with the hope of that attorney minimizing any negative consequences from the traffic court as well as the court he is on probation for.
As I see it, based upon the information provided, he faces two potential legal matters: the new criminal charges, along with a potential probation revocation based upon the new charges. Potentially, his probation could be revoked and he could also be sentenced, potentially, to jail on the new charges. Therefore, I strongly recommend he retain an expereinced criminal attorney as soon as possible. Good luck!