What will happen to my conditional green card if my husband is now asking for a divorce? 10 Answers as of December 04, 2013

Hey there. I got married to a USC in January 2012. I got my conditional green card on July 2012. Things are not going good between us. I found a very good job opportunity in another state, I moved there. Things are not still good between us. Now he is asking for a divorce. My Conditional GC is expiring on July 2014. I am nervous. Because of stress I even lost my job. What should I do in this situation? Please help me.

You can still get your permanent resident status if you can prove that the marriage was bona fide at the time it was entered into and through its termination.
Mulder Law office, PA
Mulder Law office, PA | Kyndra L Mulder, Esquire
If your husband divorces you, you can remove the conditions on your own provided you can prove to the immigration officer that the marriage was valid when entered into.
Hoang & Tran PLLC | Adam Tran
All is not lost. You may apply for your 10-year green card (i.e. remove the condition on your residency) on your own - if he divorces you. But needless to say, USCIS will question the good-faith marriage.
Ben T. Liu Law Office
Ben T. Liu Law Office | Ben T. Liu
You can keep your green card and get the 10-year one if you can established that your marriage was a valid one at the beginning. Consult with an immigration attorney.
Mayo Mallette PLLC
Mayo Mallette PLLC | Thomas J. Rosser
Within 90 days of the expiration of your current conditional I-551 "green card" you will need to file an I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence with the required supporting documentation and provide a clear letter explaining in detail your marital situation and potential or recent divorce. You should seek the counsel of an experienced immigration attorney to guide you through this process. You will be able to renew your green card even after a divorce from the petitioning USC spouse as long as you can substantiate the bona fide marriage which has not survived to the satisfaction of the USCIS.
    You will not lose your conditional green card solely because you divorce. You will be required to file for a removal of conditions, but can still be granted removal of conditions so long as you can establish you entered the marriage in good faith.
    Vladimir Parizher
    Vladimir Parizher | Vladimir Parizher
    Return to your husband and live like a family.
    You will have to leave the country before it expires.
    Law Office of Eric Fisher | Eric Fisher
    You must file the I-751 petition between May and July 2014. Your husband must sign also, or you will need a final divorce decree to file separately. The online instruction should help.
    Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
    Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
    You can apply for your permanent green card on your own. As long as you have sufficient proof of your relationship, you should be fine. Please consult with an experienced immigration attorney.