What will happen to my 401k if I file for bankruptcy? 7 Answers as of March 02, 2011

I moved my 401k into a banks retirement money market account (traditional rollover IRA) when the economy went south. It is the kind I can withdrawal on and put back within 30 days and not get penalized once a year. I am thinking of filing bankruptcy, and I have my checking account with them and I owe money on a credit card with them. Can they seize my account? Thanks.

If the 401k is accessible by you its accessible by trustee use your personal property exemption.
No, they can not take money from your account if it is qualified ERISA account. IRA accounts are exempt from levy. Check and make the account qualifies.
Gus Johnson Attorney at Law
Gus Johnson Attorney at Law | Gus Johnson
The 401(k) should be exempt up to $1,000,000.00.
Answer Applies to: South Dakota
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
Your 401K is exempt from bankruptcy.
Traditional IRA is not exempt.
    Cohen & Kendziorra, P.A.
    Cohen & Kendziorra, P.A. | Robert S. Cohen
    Your retirement account is exempt under bankruptcy law; however, if you owe money to a creditor and have a bank account with the same creditor, the creditor may be able to freeze your checking account for the debt owed. You should read the agreement you have with the bank when you opened your account. It is never a good idea to continue having a checking account with a creditor whose debt you will include in your bankruptcy should you decide to file.
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    401K is traditionally protected under ERISA and not seen as part of the BK estate. IRAs are generally exempt up to approx. $1M. Thank you,