What will happen to a minor in possession of marijuana and paraphernalia? 3 Answers as of June 09, 2011

My son was arrested for possession of marijuana and paraphernalia in St Clair county Alabama. They kept him in juvenile detention for two days. Now he has a court date. What can happen to him? He's never been arrested before, but the police did come to the house one time before when I found some stuff and I called them. He's 17. He says he never wants to go to jail again and that he will do whatever we tell him to do and so far has.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Anthony Wing, P.C.
Michael Anthony Wing, P.C. | Michael Anthony Wing
I do not know the St. Clair county judge, but the Mobile County Judge is well loved and respected here. I would anticipate probation and the requirement of completion of the appropriate counseling courses. There was a time when marijuana was not illegal. There was a time when alcohol was illegal, but generally, neither are a moral wrong. Hopefully, your child has learned his lesson and will comply with the rules of your home while he lives there. Stay well.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 6/9/2011
Law Office of Richard Williams
Law Office of Richard Williams | Richard Williams
Normally a juvenile who has never been in trouble will receive youthful offender status. This means that they will not have a record of conviction following the disposition of the charges in Court. However, there is no set disposition of the charges and courts and judges can vary widely over appropriate disposition of charges. The Courts usually are more concerned with prevention of use of drugs as opposed to strict punishment. You could expect your son to receive probation with random drug testing, fines and cost, and being ordered to drug treatment or possibly community service.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 6/8/2011
Ferguson & Ferguson
Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
He will probably be found to be treated as a juvenile. Given fines, costs and community service. He should not be looking at time in juvenile detention. Attorney is licensed in Alabama only. This writing does not constitute "legal advice" nor does it start an attorney-client relationship.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 6/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: