What will happen to a minor caught in possession of a handgun? 2 Answers as of March 11, 2011

My sixteen year old son was arrested for possession of a handgun. He was released to me. I am still waiting for someone to contact me. It has been a couple of weeks. What is going to happen?

Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
Maybe nothing. It will depend on what the prosecutor wants to do. The police submit the "arrest charges" to the prosecutor, but ultimately the prosecutor decides what charges to file. The standard "unlawful possession of a firearm" (RSMo 571.070) in Missouri does not apply to minors, so the prosecutor would have to charge him under a different statute. Perhaps an Unlawful Use of Weapon.
Avioli Law, P.C.
Avioli Law, P.C. | Michael Avioli
He is subject to the jurisdiction of the juvenile court authority. They will decide if they can provide necessary services to him in place of criminal prosecution as an adult. He needs representation. Call me to hire this firm.