What will happen to me if I used someone elses name on a speeding ticket and have no license? 6 Answers as of June 09, 2011

I got pulled over for speeding. my license is suspended so I used someone elses name so my boyfriends truck wouldn’t get impounded. I received a speeding ticket and a correction ticket for not having license in possession. I did submit thumb print to officer on their copy of tickets. I am currently on mis. probation for check forgery and felony probation for forging us currency in Alameda County. What charges could I face if I’m identified through my print? Would there be leniency if I turned myself in?

LynchLaw
LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
First, I do not advocate that you turn yourself into police. If your facts are discovered you could be charged with a violation of PC 148.9 Giving police false information. Such a charge comes with a maximum penalty of six months in county jail.
Jail is a very strong possibility.
Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
There are several possibilities, which I would be happy to advise you. For more information, please see my website or call me for a legal consultation.
You could be facing a new felony, which would no doubt violate both your misdemeanor and felony probations. With your criminal record, turning yourself in wouldn't make a difference. Contact an attorney ASAP.
Law Office of Joe Dane
Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
You're potentially looking at felony false personation charges. When you (they) don't show up for court, a warrant will go out for their arrest. When their license gets suspended for failing to show up in court, they'll say, "it wasn't me." The print on the citation could be checked against the database and since you're on probation, I assume you're in there. This is quickly turning from bad to worse. You need to sit down with a local criminal defense attorney to discuss your options.
    Charges could include misdemeanor or felony - false info to police, possession and use false ID, driving on suspended license, plus the probation violations. The citations print may not generate a problem, but it might. The print was requested for a reason, to check records. The person who is going to get a DMV record from this is not likely to sit quietly either. Its your best guess whether the print or the friend will turn you in. If you were to turn yourself in, it would be better than having a warrant issued. If you decide to turn yourself into the court, an attorney can try to negotiate in advance a plea bargain on the suspended license that avoids the potential serious new ones being filed, and try to avoid probation violation charges as well. Effective plea-bargaining, and some luck, could possibly keep you out of jail, or at least dramatically reduce it. Unless you're competent to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor, most people hire an attorney. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.