What will happen to me if I already did a quitclaim and my ex wife was not paying the insurance and mortgage company? 4 Answers as of March 10, 2014

Bare with me this is a complicated situation. I bought a house while married to my ex-wife. When we got divorced, the home was turned over to her. I did a quitclaim deed on the home and in the Final divorce decree, the home was turned over to her. She was suppose to refinance the home, but instead literally blew it up before foreclosure proceeding began. This was about 5 years ago. Since then she has been locked into a legal battle with the insurance company, and the mortgage company is not foreclosing on the house until the insurance pays them for the house. All this time the hose is continuing to increase the number of over 120 day late payments on my credit report. This isn't fair to me in any way, but I don't know if I have a legal leg to stand on or what type of attorney to speak with. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
You could get it off by filing a bankruptcy. Then the lates can not show on your credit and you are not liable to the debt to the bank. But that may also cause other issues. You could speak to an attorney in more detail.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/10/2014
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq.
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq. | Stacy Joel Safion
Call your family law attorney that handled your divorce.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/10/2014
Law Offices of Linda Rose Fessler | Linda Fessler
I would suggest that you get a lawyer to write a letter to the credit agencies referencing all the lawsuits. It will probably cost you about $500 to prepare the letter and exhibits and copy all the credit bureaus.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/10/2014
Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
The agreement between you and your former wife does not bind the bank or release you from liability to the bankthat would have occurred when she refinanced. You may discharge the debt in bankruptcy however, given all that is occurring, I would suggest that you speak with a qualified bankruptcy attorney who focuses on bankruptcy practice for advice and guidance in this matter.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Replied: 3/10/2014
Click to View More Answers: