What will happen to me after stealing a credit card and use it? 8 Answers as of December 10, 2013

I stole a credit card that was in lost & found of the hotel I work at. I used it several times and then felt very remorseful so I contacted the guest and confessed. I also called my boss and told him and resigned my position. I'm a single mom to 3 small children and in the last stretch of my degree. It was a stupid stupid mistake and I want to make it right.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
You should pay the money back. If you are charged, get a lawyer and see what can be worked out.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/10/2013
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
Retain a good criminal lawyer to handle the case. You will probably get a misdemeanor with probation if you have a clean record. This theft conviction will make it very hard to get a job for a long time. You must consider the consequences of your actions in the future.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 12/5/2013
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
Credit card theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/5/2013
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
Hire a lawyer to help, since we normally get the charge dismissed.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 12/6/2013
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Repay the charges and hope no charges are brought, and never do it again.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/5/2013
    Austin Legal Services, PLC
    Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
    If it is your first offense you may qualify for a diversion program or another sentencing option which would keep the matter off your public record. It can probably get pled down to a misdemeanor with no jail if you have the right attorney. Make sure you are represented by experience criminal defense attorney in your area that handles fraudulent use of a financial transaction device or credit card fraud cases.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 12/5/2013
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 12/6/2013
    Barton Barton & Plotkin
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    Unless criminal charges are brought against you , the most that will happen is that you will be required to pay the amounts charged on the credit card. But there is a significant possibility that criminal charges will be brought against you. If criminal charges are brought (which is entirely possible based on complaints from either your employer, the guest, or the credit card company), you could be prosecuted for theft (either petty theft, larceny or grand larceny depending on the amount involved), which could result in fines and a jail sentence. You should immediately retain criminal defense counsel, and you should begin to make plans for someone to care for your child in the event that you are charged with a crime and forced to spend time in jail. Your first and only next step is to retain criminal defense counsel. Sometimes, your criminal defense lawyer can negotiate a resolution involving payment of restitution that avoids criminal charges. You already did the right thing by resigning your position at the hotel, and admitting your wrong-doing, but now you have to take steps to minimize the difficulties you face from potential criminal prosecution. And most importantly, you have to take steps to protect the well-being of your child. This means that you need to retain legal counsel ASAP.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 12/5/2013
Click to View More Answers: