What will happen to me after getting my first DUI? 13 Answers as of April 15, 2011

Last night I got pulled over for first DUI. The cops had me blow into a breathalyzer and it came up 1.8. Ahhh.. what kind of consequences will I get with that number? Should I hire a lawyer? Is there any way I could convert jail time into community service? ... I need an answer fast! Please! What am I looking at with all this?...

Law Office of David Swanson
Law Office of David Swanson | David Swanson
Generally a person does not get sentenced to jail for a first time DUI. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann | Christopher J. McCann
You definitely should get a lawyer. Especially one whose practice focuses on DUI like mine does. You need to call the DMV within 10 days to request a hearing or lose the right to it. In court, a .18% (I assume that's what you meant), if convicted, could lead to 3 years of unsupervised probation, about $1,800 in fines, a 3-9 month alcohol class, and possibly an ignition interlock device installed on your car for 5 months depending on what county you are in. Usually there is no jail for first time offenders absent an accident where someone is hurt, but it depends on the county.
You face all the normal criminal penalties associated with DUI, plus enhancement for being more than twice the legal blood alcohol limit. If convicted, you potentially face up to 6-12 months in jail and fines, suspension of license, etc.
I doubt that you blew a 1.8. YOu would be dead. .18 is possible. Hire a DUI attorney.
Tomas M. Flores, Esq.
Tomas M. Flores, Esq. | Tomas M. Flores
A BAC of .18 is pretty high. Right now you are looking at a .15 or higher enhancement charge which can result in higher fines and time. An attorney can help negotiate a lighter sentence, and challenge the legality of the stop.
    Whether you hire a lawyer or not depends on your priorities. Your case doesn't sound too defensible though it would be reasonable to analyze the lawfulness of your original stop. Most attorneys offer free initial consultations so I would take a couple on that offer before you make a decision.
    With a.18 you will get, at most, two days jail which you can usually do on a sheriff's work program, and a very hefty fine, about $1800 plus a 6 month dui school which is also expensive. you should have a lawyer for this one. If you are in the bay area call and if somewhere else still call me and i can find you a top notch lawyer. You need a lawyer who specializes in criminal cases and has dui experience. Do not hire daddy's pal, the real estate lawyer or your buddies divorce lawyer or you will get screwed.
    The consequences of a first DUI include the following: A fine of $390 to $1000 with penalty assessment (multiplied by approximately 3-4 times), up to 6 months in jail, and attendance in a 3, 6, or 9 month alcohol program. As a result of the court conviction, the DMV will suspend your license for 6 or 10 months, depending on the alcohol program ordered, but a restricted license may be requested. Additionally, you will receive 2 points on your driving record.

You should contact a DUI specialist immediately, because certain aspects of a DUI (ie. calling the DMV to request a hearing) require timely action. Instead of focusing your mind on the negative consequences of a DUI, you should focus your mind on how a good DUI lawyer can help you minimize some or all of those consequences.
    I recommend you hire a lawyer...or at least consult with one to discuss your case. Feel free to contact me to discuss your case for a free consultation, or review my website for additional info about Dui's and possible consequences.

For a first offense dui, you could face large fines, alcohol programs, jail,community service, driver license suspension, and other possible programs. I can help minimize the consequences and keep you out of jail. Your breath test at a 0.18 is high, but that doesn't mean all is lost. There are a lot of potential issues thay can help with your defense.

Also, you only have 10 days from the date of arrest to request a DMV hearing, or else they will automatically take action against your license. I can also request and handle your DMV hearing. Call me if you would like to discuss your case in more detail.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    You are looking at 48 hours to 6 months in jail (most likely 48 hours); DUI school; fine; possible IID ; license suspension; probation for 36 months. I assume you blew a .18, which is twice the legal limit of .08. You should always hire an attorney for a DUI. If you cannot afford one the court will appoint one.