What will happen to me after being caught stealing? 1 Answers as of May 03, 2011

I have stolen about $5500 dollars over a month’s time from my employer and was caught today. I signed a paper saying I will pay the employer back all the money, then a cop came and gave me a ticket to appear in court. What happens next? Will I be charged with a felony? Will I go to jail? Can I get a diversion if it is my first time offense? I’m 19 and live in Kansas.

The amount you have stolen could possibly be charged as a felony, but the fact that you have been charged with a ticket to appear in court leads me to believe that the charge is filed as a misdemeanor. Jail time depends upon the judge you face as well as any agreement between you and your attorney with the prosecutor. Typically, an offense like this would include a probationary period instead of jail time.