What will happen to me after being caught breaking into cars? 7 Answers as of February 22, 2011

I'm 16 broke into several cars. I broke into 5 or so cars and stole property from each one. I was trying to sell one of the properties, a camera, and was caught. I admitted to having more stolen property at my house from several other cars and gave it all back. I have court in 2 weeks and I want to know what I should expect as this is my first offense.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
A lot depends on who the DA and judge are as well as what you are charged with. Hire an attorney familiar with the local courts.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/21/2011
Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider | Peter Goldscheider
You will be going to juvenile court and will be given an attorney for starters. Your punishment depends on many factors including how you are doing in school and at home, not just your prior record. For so many burglaries I wouldn't rule out your doing some time in juvenile hall.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/21/2011
Law Offices of Juan Dotson
Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
Your first court date is an arraignment. An arraignment is a hearing where the defendant (in your case, the "minor") is given written notice of the charges they are facing. This document, which is drafted by the prosecution, is called a complaint. The arraignment also consists of: advisement of the nature of the offense and ones constitutional rights, defense response to complaint (almost always an oral not guilty plea is entered), tentative schedule is set for future hearings, and detention is addressed (you may be detained, released to parents, or placed on house arrest). If your parents (or school) say you have been out of control, you will be taken to juvenile hall.

Discovery from the prosecution always accompanies a complaint this is evidence, usually in the form of a police report, that tends to support or disprove that the defendant has committed a crime. Anything you said will be used against you.

Do not talk to this case to anyone unless they are an attorney. An attorney can help you negotiate informal probation which can be 6 months to 1 year. Probation can be imposed for longer if the district attorney or the court believe you need more supervision.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/18/2011
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
What will happen? If you simply plead guilty you will be sentenced to whatever is called for in the Penal Code section[s] you are charged with.

No one can tell you what will happen without learning all the charges, facts, evidence, witnesses, defenses, etc. You need to consult with counsel in depth to get an informed opinion.

The ONLY specific advice you should expect is to [finally] exercise your 5th Amendment rights to SHUT UP, hire an attorney, and do NOT talk to anyone except an attorney about the case. You face charges that could put in jail/prison, and most police and prosecutors will happily tell you that 95% of people convict themselves by trying to be 'helpful and cooperative'. You already violated that rule by chatting with the police and apparently admitting to many crimes. There is no magic wand to make this go away. Effective plea-bargaining, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies you may have, could possibly keep you out of jail/prison, or at least dramatically reduce it, depending upon all the facts and evidence. Not exactly a do it yourself project in court for someone who does not know how to effectively represent himself against a professional prosecutor intending to convict you. If serious about hiring counsel, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help you use whatever defenses you may have. If you can't afford private counsel, apply for the Public Defender.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/18/2011
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann | Christopher J. McCann
You could be charged with misdemeanor or felony burglary or receiving stolen property depending on the circumstances. If convicted you will be placed on informal or supervised probation for a couple of years, have to pay full restitution, court fees and fines and possibly jail time. How much jail depends again on the facts of the case, your background, how effective your lawyer is, what county/court you are in and the DA you are dealing with.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/17/2011
    Dennis Roberts, a P.C.
    Dennis Roberts, a P.C. | Dennis Roberts
    1. Pretty stupid to break into cars. Forgive me but some little kid broke into mine and stole my expensive radio/tape deck. I had always been opposed to the death penalty, EXCEPT FOR THIS GUY.

    2.Even more stupid to admit having more stolen property at home. If they are handling this case as a juvenile and it is your first offense you will probably get probation, tho you could get some time at a ranch (fancy name for juvenile joint). If they are trying you as an adult you will get a better shake as for a crime like this and first offense, depending on what court you are in, you would most likely get straight probation. You will (in either court) have to pay for any damages you caused to these cars. In both juvenile and adult court you have a right to a public defender. Use that right. In juvi your parents parents will not have to pay the court back for providing the PD tho in adult court you willbe responsible for paying a reasonable amount to the PD for their services ASSUMING YOU HAVE MONEY. And the costs are pretty damn cheap. If they are handling this in adult court, call and let me know what county as maybe I can recommend a good private lawyer. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 2/22/2011
Click to View More Answers: