What will happen to an underage shoplifter? 6 Answers as of May 17, 2011

What will happen to an underage shoplifter?

Consult the Public Defender, who will probably be appointed. The child is probably eligible for 'Informal Probation', which involves some classes, and maybe some community service. Only you can decide if you want to pay the often exorbitant bill that you will receive from the retailer. I would not.
Misdemeanor criminal charges can be filed. What can you do? Hire an attorney, unless you know how to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor intending to convict. No amount of free 'tips and hints' from here or anywhere else are going to effectively help you in your defense, other than the advice to exercise the 5th Amendment right to not talk to anyone except an attorney about the case. Most police and prosecutors will happily tell you that 95% of people convict themselves by trying to be 'helpful and cooperative', either during initial contact, questioning, interview or interrogation. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
In San Diego, after successful completion of an anti-theft class the charge can be dismissed.
Ask the moinor's juveniel attorney. There is insufficient information re the events surrounding and the theft itself as well as the minor.
If arrested or given a citation he or she will be given a notice to appear in juvenile court where either an attorney will be assigned unless the family hires one. What happens next depends on the facts of the case, any prior record and other case specific factors.
    That depends on lot of circumstances. First, how strong is the case against you? You may have plausible defenses to get the charge dismissed. Secondly, what is the amount of the alleged theft? that can make a difference of whether you are charged with petty theft, or grand theft. Contact me to discuss your case in more detail. I have had success in getting theft charges dismissed.