What will happen in my possession of marijuana case? 12 Answers as of February 22, 2011

I got a speeding ticket which led into getting possession of marijuana as well. I contacted the court specified on my ticket multiple times before the court date and was told there was no record of my case. A week after the appear date I received a letter stating there was a citation or complaint issued and now have a new court date. Is this normal and what should I expect?

It is not out of the ordinary. Appear on the date given. Hire an attorney. He or she may discover some difficulties with what lead to the discovery of the marijuana.
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy | Ryan P. Murphy
This depends on the county, judge, your record, the prosecutor, and your attorney. I would need more facts to fully evaluate your situation. For example, if you are under 21, then you could loose your license for one year.

Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact my office at your earliest convenience.
This does happen, where you later receive a letter from the Court stating that criminal charges have been filed and there is a new court date. A couple questions...how much marijuana are they alleging you had in your possession? Also, did you have any pipes or anything like that on you? There could be some probable cause issues that may help you out. Give me a call to discuss your case in further detail.
Yes this is normal. Sometimes they haven't had enough time to review and file against you until after the date specified on the ticket. Consider hiring a lawyer, because this type of charge can usually be reduced or dismissed by an experienced attorney negotiating with the prosecutor/Judge.
Yes this happens all the time. The DA did not file charges against you until after your court date you received from the officer. The court date you have will be your arraignment date.
    Such delay is not uncommon. Expect to defend the charges. If serious about hiring counsel to do so, feel free to contact me.
    Robert Mortland
    Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
    This is normal. You should expect to be brought to court for a misdemeanor possession and the next court date is the arraignment date. This is not out of the ordinary but you should speak with an attorney or the public defender as soon as possible.
    It is normal in that courts screw up all the time. I can't answer your question without knowing:

1) do you have a medical marijuana recommendation

2) was it under one ounce - if so it is a $100 fine and it is an infraction which means it doesn't show up on your permanent record

3) If more than an ounce it will depend on how much you have. Without knowing the answers to these questions I cannot help you . You can call me if you want more info.