What will happen in a drug case in California? 8 Answers as of March 02, 2011

I was arrested and it is my first offense for being under the influence and possessing drug paraphernalia with residue in California. What will happen?

Contact an experienced defense attorney. You may be eligible for a diversion program, the completion of which may result in a dismissal in your case.
Your attorney should be able to get you Diversion under PC 1000 or prop. 36.
Most likely a drug treatment program.
If convicted, you could be sentenced to jail or prison.
If first offense most likely just probation but they might want some county time. I need to know what jurisdiction, the town where court is.
    You will likely only be charged with violations of Health and Safety Code (HS) sections 11550(a) ('Under the Influence) and 11364 ('Paraphernalia'). With no prior convictions, you will be eligible for Diversion, pursuant to Penal Code section 1000. Approximately, but no soon than, eighteen months after your plea, and after completing an approximately six-month program, you can receive a complete dismissal, as if the arrest never happened. You will be able to legally say that the arrest never happened. There is nothing else like this in the entire Penal Code. Do not squander your chance to put this completely behind you. Complete the program and do not have any more arrests or charges. You cannot participate in the program for another six years after the dismissal.
    First I would consult with an attorney. There are options available to avoid jail time and drug programs that you maybe eligible for.