What will happen in court with a hit/run ticket with suspended license number? 10 Answers as of July 10, 2013

What will happen in court with a hit/run ticket with suspended license number?

Kim W. Hansen, Attorney at Law
Kim W. Hansen, Attorney at Law | Kim W. Hansen
There are a lot of ways to handle a hit and run to mitigate the charges against you. They are fact specific. The driving on the suspended license is also fact specific as there can be several different reasons for the suspension. Your question does not provide enough information to be able to review your options with you. However, if you wish to send me an email with more information, I will be glad to take a look at your situation. Please feel free to send me an email through the contact form on my website.
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
You may be charged with the crimes of driving on a suspended license and hit and run. Depending on which county you are in, if you obtain a valid driver's license and offer to pay restitution to the victim, your case may or may not be dismissed.
What will happen in court is that you will either plead guilty and be immediately sentenced, or plead not guilty and defend the charges. Youll learn the actual charge[s] filed against you when you appear for arraignment at your first court hearing. The DA can amend at any time he feels he can prove additional or different charges. When charged with a felony, you potentially face one or more years in prison if convicted; on a misdemeanor, you potentially face up to 6-12 months in jail. Multiple counts and charges multiply your problems. If you have priors and strikes, they are penalty enhancements under the 3 Strikes rules. If this constitutes a probation or parole violation, factor those new and old charge[s] in as well. No attorney can predict the outcome, nor even give an intelligent opinion, without reviewing and knowing all the charges, evidence, reports, testimony, priors history, etc. When arrested or charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a search or confession be used against you, and can you be convicted, and what can you do? Raise all possible defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence and facts are available for legal arguments, for evidence suppression or other motions, or at trial. While this isn't a 'capital case', you certainly face potential jail and fines, so handle it right. You can hire an attorney, unless you know how to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor intending to convict. He will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate.
Law Offices of George Woodworth & Associates
Law Offices of George Woodworth & Associates | George Woodworth
Of course it depends on the seriousness of the Hit and Run collision, and whether there were serious injuries to anyone involved. The higher the amount of damage or such injury then the higher the amount of punishment the Court will consider. A small fender-bender with no injuries may be resolved as a Misdemeanor with with small punishment. However here with a Hit/Run on a Suspended License could raise the filing to a Felony. Consult an experienced criminal defense Attorney to have the specific details of this case analyzed, and to find your best defense.
Singh Law Office
Singh Law Office | Kulvinder Singh
You go to jail for driving on a suspended license anyway. How long depends on your lawyer's negotiation skill.
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    First of all, a "hit and run" allegation in California is not a "ticket". It is a serious misdemeanor criminal offense. You can be sent to county jail if you are convicted. If what you are saying is at the time you committed a "hit and run" violation your driving privilege was suspended that makes it even more serious. Driving on a suspended license is also a misdemeanor. It is extremely important you retain an experienced criminal defense law firm to defend you before you go to court.
    It is likely that the prosecutor is going to try to give you jail time, but there is a lot that depends on the situation. Can you describe the hit and run a little more? How much damage was caused? And were there any injuries? Also, what is your license suspended for?
    Law Office of Jonathan I Kelman
    Law Office of Jonathan I Kelman | Jonathan Irik Kelman
    It all depends upon what court, if there were injuries and why your license was suspended (as well as some other factors). I am more than confident that I could get you through this nightmare relatively unscathed.
    Simple. Then you face 2 charges, one for hit and run, and one for drivng on a suspended license. Double whammy!
    Law Offices of Elliott Zarabi
    Law Offices of Elliott Zarabi | Elliott Zarabi
    Most probably jail. You should contact an attorney immediately... Feel free to contact me with any more questions you may have!