What will happen in California juvenile court? 6 Answers as of March 30, 2011

My 17 yr old daughter got arrested in January 2011 for petty left with an infraction (possession of marijuana, a very small amount). What is going to happen in juvenile court?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Tracey S. Sang
Law Office of Tracey S. Sang | Tracey Sang
In San Diego county all these cases are heard in Dept 11. There are various days and times to appear. There is no need to get there early. In fact if the hearings go from 1 to 3 it's better to arrive at 2 pm. As to each charge the judge will allow the minor to plead guilty and attend a separate class as to each, namely an anti-theft class and a drug education class. Then upon completion the case is dismissed. The other option is to plead not guilty especially if there are defenses. We charge $500 for the trial. If parent does not hire us, the PD is automatically assigned and the parent will get a bill anyway so better to hire us.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/30/2011
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
She is going to be prosecuted for the crime[s]. If your question is what will be the outcome, no one can give you an opinion on that without a complete review of all the facts, evidence, police reports, rap sheet, etc, and a thorough discussion about defenses available. When charged with a misdemeanor, you face up to 6-12 months in jail on each count. Effective plea-bargaining, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail/prison, or at least dramatically reduce it, depending upon all the facts and evidence. If serious about hiring counsel, feel free to contact me.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/29/2011
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg | Eric Sterkenburg
Her first court appearance will be an arraignment. At that time she will be told her rights and the charges against her. She can plead guilty or not guilty at that time. The judge will let her know the consequences of pleading guilty. If she pleads not guilty. Then a pre trial date will be Set.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/30/2011
Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider | Peter Goldscheider
She will be appointed an attorney unless you hire one. What he or she advise her to do depends on the evidence, and your daughter wants to do regarding the charges. If the allegations are found true it is likely that she will be placed on probation with a probation officer for a period of time.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/30/2011
The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
First, given the nature of the offense (petty theft) I would urge you to contact an experienced juvenile criminal defense attorney to fully evaluate your daughters case as a conviction for a theft offense can have serious consequences for her future including disqualifying her from future employment opportunities. That being said, there is a good chance that a conviction can be avoided with the right help. While it is hard to say exactly what will happen, the best case would be for your some sort of informal diversion where her case gets continued by the court for a period of time during which she needs to obey certain orders of the court. These orders and conditions could include having a curfew, maintain good grades and attendance in school, attend drug and alcohol classes, perform community service hours, just to name a few. If at the end of the time period she has managed to do all that she has been asked to do and has also stayed out of trouble, many judges will dismiss the charges. Whatever the best result for your daughter's case may be, the chances of achieving that result are greatly enhanced with the help of an experienced juvenile criminal defense attorney. I hope this answer was helpful. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/28/2011
Click to View More Answers: