What will happen if two minors stole a quad from a trailer? 2 Answers as of May 24, 2011

During a flood a trailer park was evacuated, and during this time my best friend and his other friend decided to go and steal a quad from a trailer. About 4 days later the cops showed up to his house and took the quad back. The owner is not sure whether or not he is going to press charges yet. I was wondering about how long they would have to spend in juvenile hall. Both boys are 14 and don't have that great of a record.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Andersen Law PLLC
Andersen Law PLLC | Craig Andersen
That would depend on his juvenile record. Sentencing in Washington for Juveniles is what is called determinate sentencing. The crimes are ranked from A to D with A being the most serious. That's one part of the equation. The other part is the kid's "offender score". That is based on prior convictions. Basically, the court determines a standard sentencing range based on the offender score and the seriousness of the crime. Also if your kid is 17, the prosecutor may wait until he or she reaches 18 to file charges. As far as the wishes of the quad owner, the prosecutor is the only entity that can file and dismiss charges. In Washington there is no such thing as pressing or dropping charges. In the best of circumstances, your kid will be 18 when charged. That would involve felonies but the maximum jail time would be 90 days local time, assuming this is the first felony offense.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/24/2011
Law Office of Michael Brodsky
Law Office of Michael Brodsky | Michael Brodsky
If the trailer they entered was a residence or was attached to a residence, they could be charged with Residential Burglary, a juvenile class "B" felony. They could also be charged with Theft in the 1st or 2nd degree, depending on the value of the "quad". Finally, although the owner of the trailer and quad may have some input into the decision, it will be up to law enforcement and the prosecutor as to if and how they will be charged. *Please note that this is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This post represents only the posters opinion. You should speak to an attorney for further information. The poster is licensed only in the State of Washington. For more information about our law firm and services, please visit our website.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/24/2011
Click to View More Answers: