What will happen if my husband got pulled over with a suspended license? 2 Answers as of August 04, 2011

My husband got a ticket for driving on a suspended license, He was given the chance to get his license reinstated since he was eligible. He did all the paper work but his letter of clearance did not come till the day after he had to go back to court. He was given a fine and sent on his way. He made the choice to drive again (on the way to get his license) and was pulled over and ticketed for a suspended license again! What is going to happen when he goes to court? Will he go to jail? He is the sole provider for our family. This is in Adams County Colorado. Can he get house arrest? Is there a way to get a pro bono lawyer to help us? Him going to jail would make us lose everything! What if he just does not go to court?

Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law
Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law | Jonathan S. Willett
If he is still able to have his license reinstated, have him bring the license to court on the new case. They may offer him a plea agreement that will not cause a new revocation.
Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
I cannot predict what will happen. If your husband does not qualify for a public attorney or appointed attorney, try contacting your attorney local bar association to see if the association is aware of any attorneys who might be willing to represent your husband for a low or no fee. If your husband has to represent himself, he may attempt to offer that his license is not re-instated and was eligible for re-instatement before. That won't address whatever citation he received to get pulled over in the first place, however. If he is found guilty, he can ask the judge for probation, a fine, or other options to not lose his job.