What will happen if my daughter misses a court date? 11 Answers as of May 04, 2011

What will happen if my 17 year old daughter missed her court date for driving without a license and got a fine? She will be 18 this year.

Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
A warrant will be issued.
Law Office of Andrew Roberts
Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
A failure to appear will be added to her charges. In addition, her driving privileges can be denied. In other words, she will not be able to get a license.
A bench warrant will issue for her arrest if she misses a court date. In juvi court, there is no bail so, if arrested, the minor has to wait in jail for a court date. This can possibly be mitigated if you have an attorney to help you. If she missed her court date, I recommend you call our office for advice (free of charge.)
You don't mention if it is juvenile court or adult court and I am not clear how she could have been fined already if she hasn't yet been to court but if she misses a mandated court date, most likely a warrant will be issued for her arrest.
The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco
The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco | Victor J Mazzaraco
This is what you have to have your daughter do - regardless of how tough to get through to she might be at that oh-so-special age: go to court as a walk in, explain to the judge why she missed, apologize, and throw herself on the mercy of the court. They love it when people show up on their own, and whether she shows up on her own or not, trust me, it won't be long b4 it causes her a problem. It will not go away and postponing action makes it worse every day she waits.
    Long story short, she will have a warrant out for her arrest.
    An arrest warrant will be issued.

For you to handle this, you must turn yourself into the court, with or without an attorney, and try to negotiate a plea bargain on the warrant and new Failure to Appear charges, and the outstanding charges. Doing so voluntarily will result in a better outcome than you being brought in cuffs to court after arrest on the warrant. That will happen if you come in contact with law enforcement or customs anywhere in the US.

While this isn't a 'capital case', handle it right. Effective plea-bargaining, could keep you out of jail and enable you to get probation and reduced fines. Most people hire an attorney for serious cases, but this is something you should be able to handle on your own to save the money. Make sure you have a license and proof of insurance in hand when you go to court. However, if serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
    If she misses a court date, the court will likely issue a bench warrant for her. If one has already been issued, she should address the situation as soon as possible. I can assist you with this if her case is in los angeles county, or a bordering county. Contact me through 1duilawyer.com. I can appear on her behalf if the court date had not happened yet. If a bench warrant has bern issued, the goal is to recall the bench warrant.
    Have a lawyer get her a new court date and she should come up with some excuse why she missed it. ie. sick, out of town, etc.
    Hale Law Group
    Hale Law Group | Joshua D. Hale
    A judge could very likely issue a bench warrant, which could be worse than the underlying issue. You could hire an attorney like myself to go defend her, as long as a misdemeanor have been charged, and she would not have to go to court.