What will happen if my daughter has to go to Alabama juvenile court? 5 Answers as of April 22, 2011

My daughter was arrested in February for petty theft, and possession of marijuana. What will happen in court? She is 17.

Law Office of James S. Robinson
Law Office of James S. Robinson | James S. Robinson
Get her a lawyer so some kind of deferred prosecution or other option for her that will not impeded what she chooses for her life.
The punishment, if the allegations are proven, range from incarceration in the juvenile center or committment to State School all the way down to either probation or a consent judgment (good behavior). The juvenile is normally not allowed to drive if on probation unless driving is a requirement for employment. The previous record of the juvenile sometimes has much to do regarding the punishment imposed by the Court.
Normally she would be found guilty of being a delinquent child. She will get fines and probation plus community service. If she gets in trouble again they might certify her as an adult.
Here in Mobile County if she has no prior history, she will most likely get a probationary sentence. I still recommend counsel. Stay well.
Eversole Law, LLC
Eversole Law, LLC | Steven Eversole
Thank you for your question. This is a hard question to answer. Many factors can determine the outcome of a case. I highly recommend you contact an experienced juvenile attorney to handle this matter. Your daughter's entire future can be at risk, even in juvenile court. Please let me know if I can be of assistance.