What will happen if my child has been caught shoplifting? 1 Answers as of May 01, 2011

My 17-year-old son was caught shoplifting $100 worth of items from Macy's. I expect some fees and fines will be involved but he refuses to get a job. Will I be responsible for paying his fees and fines? What are my options?

It depends on how close he is to 18. If he will be 18 within the next 9 months or so, he may be charged as an adult. If the juvenile court gets the police report, your son will probably be referred to pre-filing diversion. Either way, he will be fined and probably have to do community service. If he is lucky, you will make him face the charges and pay his own fines. Under no circumstance are you responsible for his fines. I am where I am today because my parents held me responsible for my stupid decisions and let me face the consequences. The worst thing you can do at this point in your son's life , the best thing you can do is step back and let him fall on his face.