What will happen if I turn myself in for a FTA on a Felony theft by receiving charge? 36 Answers as of October 18, 2012

First off, I have a clean record, no prior convictions. I am charged with theft by receiving because a guy said he sold me something. The only evidence they have is an ad on craigslist I posted around the same timeframe, no physical objects, no fingerprints, or anything like that. I bonded out for the charge two years ago and did not receive any paper work on the case. Earlier this year, I find out that I had a warrant during a traffic stop. I bond out on the FTA the next day. I continue to keep in contact with my bonding company and the district attorney for further information on my case but nothing comes up. Then on Thursday, I get a call from the bonding company saying that they received a certified letter stating that I was supposed to be in Court the previous Monday. I do not understand why I am not getting any of these notifications. Now I have another warrant. So where do I go from here. I am afraid if I turn myself in, I will be in there for a while.

Law Office of John Schum, LLC
Law Office of John Schum, LLC | John Schum
These types of cases, where you are released while an investigation is ongoing are difficult. Decisions on the case are not communicated to you and then you miss a court date and there is a bench warrant for your arrest. Under the facts you provided, I feel that I can keep you from going to jail for the failure to appear and there is a good chance we could win the underlying case. I would need to know a lot more but the facts you gave me are promising. I hope this helps you sort your legal situation out.
Answer Applies to: Hawaii
You will need an attorney as the charge is a felony charge. Your attorney should be able to file a pleading to have the failure to appear set aside and have the matter set for arraignment/status/trial and resolved.
Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
You have a better chance of being released if you surrendeer on the warrant rather than being arrested on it.
Get a lawyer and fight the charge with a lawyer.
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
With no record, you might be able to surrender and post bail. Seek a confidential consultation with a criminal defense attorney, or if you cannot afford to hire one, apply to the public defender for an appointed one.
    Law Office of Richard Staff | Richard Staff
    Call your bondsman and see what's up. She'll know if your bailable and how much. Prosecution must prove u had notice of court date.
    Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
    Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
    Research the address that the court has for you and turn yourself in voluntarily to minimize the consequences.
    You should not be in contact with the prosecutor and you should know when yu have to be in court. I advise you to call Legal Aid or a good criminal lawyer to handle the matter and get the best possible disposition in the matter. You should tell your lawyer the truth but never talk to the police under any circumstances, no matter what they threaten or promise.
    So, continue to run until they catch you. Either way, you will be returning to jail on the warrant. Maybe you might want to retain an attorney who can keep up with your court dates, or make sure your record stays clean, or maybe you don't care about that.
    Jay Tanenbaum | Jay Tanenbaum
    You should turn yourself in, preferably with an attorney. Usually with valid reasons for a non appearance, the bench warrant will be recalled.
    Hire an attorney.
    Law Office of Ronald G. Draper | Ronald G. Draper
    You're not as clear as you may believe. Consult with a lawyer about your options.
    The Law Offices of Stephen L. Richards | Stephen L. Richards
    Turn yourself in.
    The warrant and FTA are separate issues from the actual case charges. Each must be defended. To handle a warrant, you must turn yourself in to the issuing court, with or without an attorney. You?ll try to negotiate a recall of the warrant[s] and negotiate a plea bargain on any ?Failure to Appear? charge. You?ll try to negotiate bail reduction or OR release. You?ll try to negotiate a plea bargain on any probation violation that caused the warrant. You?ll try to negotiate a plea bargain or take to trial the outstanding charge that caused the warrant. On felony charges, the defendant must be personally present at every court hearing and appearance. On misdemeanors and infractions, your attorney can appear in court without the defendant being present. When charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a test, search or statement be used against you, can you be convicted, and what can you do? Raise all appropriate defenses with whatever witnesses, evidence and sympathies are available for legal arguments, for evidence suppression or other motions, or for trial. If you don't know how to represent yourself effectively against an experienced prosecutor intending to convict, then hire an attorney who does, who will try to get a dismissal, charge reduction, diversion, program, or other decent outcome through motions, plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate.
    James M. Osak, P.C.
    James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
    Plead NOT GUILTY and RETAIN an ATTORNEY to figure out this mess.
    Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
    If you have moved or somehow changed addresses since the original charge, they will continue to send information to the old address. Your bondsman should have gotten notice you were supposed to be in court. If you just let the warrant stay as it is, eventually someone will find you and the DA or law enforcement may think you were hiding or attempting to avoid arrest. Have your bondsman check on the address the court has for you. Only you can decide whether to surrender, but I always tell my clients that surrendering shows adult, responsible behavior, and that makes a difference with judges.
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger | James A Schoenberger
    Set a quash hearing and find out what charges are pending against you and make sure the court has your correct address to send notices.
    Barbara Fontaine, Esquire | Barbara Fontaine
    Did you move and not tell the court?? If so, turn yourself in and tell them you moved and never got the notice. Otherwise you will have to worry forever about something which maybe you didn't do and would not be prosecuted for.
    Get in touch with your attorney, and have him accompany you to court. He should file a motion to quash and recall the warrant, and should argue that you did not get notice about any court appointment. If you had been in touch with the DA, he should be able to co-oberate your story. Do not try and do this on your own.
    Get an attorney and go to court and get the matter straightened out. You may have a defense if you did not know the stuff was stolen.
    Natty Shafer Law
    Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
    You can ask your attorney to make an initial appearance for you so he or she can straighten out the warrants and explain the situation. If you do not yet have an attorney, you should hire one.
    You can hire an attorney to help you sort this out, or you can enlist the help of your bondsman, in either event you will need to surrender on the warrant.
    VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC
    VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC | Anthony Overton Van Johnson
    The first thing you need to do is retain the services of an attorney to represent you. The attorney is required to file an Entry of Appearance notifying the court that he/she is your legal counsel. When this occurs, all court notices are sent to both your address, as well as, the address of your attorney. Had you followed this approach, you would have avoided the circumstances that you currently find yourself in. Additionally, if you change your address, you are required to notify the court (in writing) of any changes to your address. Too frequently, individuals after having been arrested change addresses without notifying the court in writing of the new address. The court notice is then sent to whatever address the court has on file. When the Defendant fails to appear, a bench warrant is issued. You cannot and should not depend on your bonding company to notify you of your court date(s). Accordingly, you should immediately retain the services of an attorney. Your attorney can file a motion to recall the bench warrant or request a walk-in hearing to address the issue. At that time, the attorney can explain to the judge the circumstances of your case, and hopefully the judge will recall the warrant without you having to be taken into custody.
    Law Office of Mark Bruce
    Law Office of Mark Bruce | Mark Corwin Bruce
    You need to hire a lawyer, who will be able to get the court dates, etc. Or, if you can't afford a lawyer, you need to go down to the courthouse where the case is being heard and ask the clerk to put it on calendar for warrant recall. Explain to the judge that you have not been receiving proper notice. Then ask for appointed counsel. The judge will not punish you for a clerical error, but only if you go into court on your own and not in a jail jumpsuit.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    You have to turn yourself in on the new warrant, bond out again, and make sure you know your future court dates. The bond will have a court date on it when you get out of jail- and then at each court date they will give you paperwork about when your next court date is. If you ever have a question, call the court and ask them when your next court date is. The phone number will be on your paperwork.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    If you turn yourself in you will be taken before a judge to re-set conditions of release. If your story is believable, you are not likely to sit in jail for a long period.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    You obviously need to hire an attorney. When you do, notices will also be sent to the attorney. Perhaps the clerk has the wrong address for you. It happens.
    Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
    You need to find an attorney.
    Bring a lawyer and bring a bondsman with you.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    The warrant will be recalled and you will be prosecuted. Hire a lawyer and turn yourself in.
    If you have a failure to appear warrant you will spend less time in jail if you go to court ASAP. If you wait until the law enforcement picks you up you will spend time in jail and most likely more than you would by turning yourself in at court. If you were truly not notified of the court date you should not spend any time in jail and all your questions as to what is going on will be answered. It will help greatly if you take an attorney with you or talk to the Public Defender assigned to that court room.
    Attorney at Law | Ernest Krause
    What address are the officials sending mail to? You are supposed to keep everyone advised of your current address. Based on what you say your case is so minor the DA would drop it if they didn't get a plea from you for some lesser crime (no promises). Your bonding company can't give you "legal advice," but they can tell you something. A shortcut is to call the DA for informal advice, if they say anything.? The public defender can tell you something. The jails are full of people with serious matters which yours seems not to be. I doubt there is "room at the inn" for you!
    Don't put it off. You will only make things worse and the bondsman will only come after you. Make sure you have nothing illegal on you when you go to court. It sounds like you may have a good defense so get going.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    Call the right place. Call the Court. A FTA is a failure to appear and is not normally a warrant. Call the Court, today, to advise why you were not in court when required. Call today.
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
    If you did not know and turn yourself in you probably won't be incarcerated.
    Germaine & Blaszka, P.A.
    Germaine & Blaszka, P.A. | Donald L. Blaszka, Jr.
    You should contact and retain an experienced NH criminal defense attorney to assist you in surrendering yourself on the bench warrant.
12 3 4 5 6 7 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney