What will happen if I try to get back into the US on an expired passport? 5 Answers as of January 05, 2011

I am a US citizen and I need to go to Mexico but my passport is expired. What would happen when I leave the country then try to get back in?

If you attempt to re-enter the U.S. from Mexico with an expired passport you will not be allowed to enter, you may even be temporarily detained then repatriated back into Mexico, and told to go to a U.S. consulate to apply for a renewed passport. Just get your passport renewed before you go. It only takes a few weeks.
Actually you cannot get into Mexico without a valid passport.

So you won't be able to leave.

But if you do find a way to leave you will not be allowed back into the US without a valid passport. I strongly suggest that you get a new passport. There are internet services to get a passport in 48 hours.
Better take the time to get it renewed before you head "south of the border, down Mexico way". Otherwise, your journey down into our southern neighbor could be limited merely to border towns such as Tijuana, Nogales, or (if you now dare) Ciudad Juarez across from El Paso.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
You could be denied entry. However if you need to travel and have your travel itinerary a passport can be obtained in two days.
You need to extend your passport before you travel outside the country. Otherwise you won't be able to come back in.