What will happen if I made a mistake on i-130 but it still got approved? 3 Answers as of June 10, 2013

I'm an american citizen and i have filed an i-130 for my wife who resides in jordan back in march. I made a big mistake on question #14. I put that she was not in the states at the time of filling when she actually was. I over looked it basically. My wife did not over stay, so there was no need or reason for me to lie, and she been to the states twice before and never overstayed, it really was a weird but honest mistake. I thought they would catch it from her i-94 and send me (RFE) but instead I received an approval and the case was forwarded to NVC. My question is there is anyway I can fix this mistake? can I write the NVC an explanation letter? I'm afraid this mistake would be a problem for my wife at the time of her interview in jordan.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
You can always write an explanation letter, but why? The mistake has no significance in terms of obtaining an immigration benefit. What I am saying is that it would become a problem for you only if by making the mistake you received an advantage or a benefit that you were not entitled to. In this case, no such thing. Let bygones be bygones. If it makes you feel better, then write the letter anyway. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/14/2011
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
You should not worry too much about this and just write to the consulate with your explanation when she is interviewed. The bottom line is that your "mistake" is not material and whether or not she was in the US has little to do with her eligibility for the benefits sought and she is not seeking to adjust her status in the US.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/12/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
Yes contact NVC and explain your error along with contacting USCIS.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/10/2013
Click to View More Answers: