What will happen if I leave the US while my greencard is getting filed? 5 Answers as of May 24, 2011

I am a student from Canada but am going to school in the US. I am in the process of getting my green card, but I need to go home to Canada for the summer to work and haven't received my travel document yet. What would happen if I cross the border?

Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
The USCIS will consider it abandoned. Please call me. We offer payment plans with no interest.
The rule of thumb is that if you leave while your green card is being processed, that application may be deemed abandoned by you and no further processing will happen on it. You should get an Advance Parole before you go. It is kind of bizarre that you do not have a travel document yet, but I suppose if you just filed your I-485 packet, it will take a little time before you get your work permit. These days the work permit also acts as an advance parole but you have to file the I-131 with the I-485 packet. So, I would wait until I get an advance parole to leave. It may very well happen that your leaving won't stop your process, but why take the chance? Good luck!
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
If you travel without your advance parole (travel document) then your adjustment of status application will be deemed abandoned.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Your green card application will be cancelled if you go outside the US before your advance parole document is approved. Wait to have it approved.
You can come in as a student.