What will happen if I leave my car after a hit and run? 8 Answers as of July 19, 2011

My car was in a possible hit and run and was abandoned; they towed the car. It was only minor property damage. There are documents with my identity in there. The car is not registered to me and is registered in another state. What would happen if I ignored it and just left it there? Would they come after me even though they don't know it was me?

Law Offices of Jacek W. Lentz
Law Offices of Jacek W. Lentz | Jacek W. Lentz
First, you need to let the registered owner know that they will face questions about the car and who drove it. Then you both should consult your own separate lawyers. Do not handle this matter by yourself.
The police will eventually identify you and you will be charged with misdemeanor hit and run. Whether you want to be proactive about it or not is up to you.
If they cant prove you were driving, you cant be convicted, but they could arrest you just to push on you for a plea bargain. If you pick up the car, you ID yourself as the possible driver.
The Chastaine Law Office
The Chastaine Law Office | Michael Chastaine
Hard to say for sure, but it is possible they would come looking for you if the police can put it all together.
First they would go to the person on the registration. That could lead them to you. Next they would check out your papers with your ID. That would lead them to you. What you should do is go with an attorney to the police and tell them that a car with your ID in it was towed and you were wondering what happened to your papers. Do not make any statements about the driving of the car. This way you can find out if they are looking for you. It is always better to go to the police than have them come to you.
    A.L.A. Law Group, LLP
    A.L.A. Law Group, LLP | Lauren M. Mayfield
    If the police discover that you were the driver they will charge you with a hit and run. They will probably file with the District Attorney and send a notice to the address they have either from running a records check on you or from the information found in the car if that contained an address. It does not matter that you live out of state, you will be expected to come to court to deal with this matter. You should speak with a local attorney (local in relation to where the hit and run took place as that will be where the court case is also) because your presence is not required for a misdemeanor so an attorney can appear on your behalf and handle the case for you. If they don't realize that you were the driver they could charge the registered owner of the vehicle. If that is the case and the registered owner gets notice that they have a case pending that person may contact the DA and notify them that you were the driver and then you will get charged with the hit and run. Either way, you should speak with a local attorney to be sure that a case is not filed against you so that you don't get a warrant out for you as a result of a failure to appear in court if the case does get filed. Failures to appear can follow you and will show up on your RAP sheet and impact your license.
    I think you've pretty much answered your own question. How can they come after you if they don't know it is you?? Even if somehow they suspect it is you, they don't have any evidence that it WAS you. That is why it is very important not to talk to anyone about this other than a lawyer. Remember, you will be fine until you begin talking and incriminating yourself.
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    IF the car is not registered in your name then that is a good thing. However you state that there are documents in the car with your identity on them. This means that it is likely law enforcement will attempt to contact you. They will also attempt to contact the registered owner. If that person is in another state it may be difficult to contact them. If the police do locate you you should definitely NOT SPEAK TO THEM. You should retain a criminal defense attorney to represent you.