What will happen if I have a neighbor that died about a year ago and from earlier years of talking to him he had no family or friends left? 15 Answers as of September 30, 2013

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C.
O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C. | Sean P. O'Keefe
In Maryland, a non-family member/friend may petition to administer his estate if there are probate assets. What happens may depend on whether anyone acts.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 9/30/2013
Christine Sabio Socrates Attorney at Law | Christine Socrates
If he left real property or other assets a probate estate must be opened. Any probate assets will be distributed according to the laws of descent and distribution and will pass to some relative, possibly one that is very distant from him and may not even be aware of him. You would be able to start the process and apply to be the administrator of the estate.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 9/26/2013
Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
Does this neighbor own the house next door? Can you tell that nothing is being done to settle his estate? You should probably contact the Oregon Department of State Lands. They will administer the estate of someone who really has no one.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 9/26/2013
Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
Eventually, everything will go to the State, unless he had a Will or Trust. That assumes that he had assets in his name alone, with no joint owners or beneficiaries designated.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/26/2013
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
If no family can be located. His estate will go to he state.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 9/26/2013
    Donald T. Scher & Associates, P.C.
    Donald T. Scher & Associates, P.C. | Donald Scher
    The property and the other assets of the deceased's estate may escheat to the State, if there are no heirs at law.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 9/26/2013
    Danville Law Group | Scott Jordan
    Did your neighbor own any real estate? If yes, someone will need to file for probate to sell the house. A diligent search will need to be conducted to find an heir. If there are none, the money from the sale of the home and all personal property will be turned over to the state. The person appointed the administrator of the estate can recover fees for their services as well as attorney fees.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/25/2013
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    Somebody will try and find family and if there is none, his property will go to the state.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 9/26/2013
    Martin Barnes - Attorney at Law
    Martin Barnes - Attorney at Law | Martin Barnes
    I am sorry for the loss of your friend. I am guessing that your question might be written as "What will happen to his assets? How will they be distributed?". The answer to that question will depend on the kind of plans that your friend and neighbor put in place (i.e. his Will, the beneficiaries he designated on insurance policies & qualified retirement savings accounts, the manner in which his property and accounts were titled, etc.). If your friend and neighbor left no Will or other plans, his estate will pass according to Indiana Statutes (commonly called the Intestacy Statutes). These statutes define how his assets will be distributed. Disclaimer: The response above does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 9/26/2013
    Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons
    Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons | Patrica A Simmons
    There are heir finder companies who can find heirs of your neighbor's estate. If he owned real property, someone will need to initiate the probate process and any heirs will be contacted.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/26/2013
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    The public administrator will get involved and track down family. There is likely someone out there. If there isn't, the money will likely go to unclaimed property with the State of California for someone to claim in the future.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/25/2013
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    If the individual died with no assets requiring probate, nothing is likely to happen. If the individual had assets and those assets cannot be accessed without probate, someone will need to come forward and probate his estate. If there is no probate, those assets will not be accessible and may eventually escheat to the state of his residence at death. Any probate will require addressing any debts of the decedent and may well be subject to a claim for any Medicaid payments made on behalf of the decedent or his/ her spouse.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 9/25/2013
    Goldsmith & Guymon
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    If he had a Will the property will go to the persons, charities, etc. named. If he did not have a Will, his property may escheat the State. Chances are he has some family who will be entitled to his assets. Not very many cases escheat. If it escheats, in Nevada the proceeds are used for education. This information is only intended to give general information in response to an inquiry. It does not establish an attorney client relationship. This response is only based upon the limited facts presented and is merely intended to assist you in determining if you should contact an attorney to provide you with legal advice.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 9/25/2013
    Meissner, Joseph & Palley, Inc.
    Meissner, Joseph & Palley, Inc. | John Palley
    Eventually someone (anyone) can start the probate process to get the house sold. If nothing happens sooner eventually the house could be sold at a tax sale but that could be years. I encourage you to start the probate process. There are heir finder services that will find the rightful heirs. If none are found then the money can be sent to the state at the end of probate to be held in case the rightful heirs are ever found.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/25/2013
    Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
    There is not enough information here to answer this question. What is that needs to happen? Does he own property? or what?
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 9/25/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney