What will happen if I have an expired visa? 7 Answers as of July 30, 2011

I entered the us on the 8th of March 2009 on a two year E 3 visa. Expiring on the 8th of march 2011. Mistakenly I thought I had up to 6 months to leave the us. I have not worked since the 8th of march. I had a vacation and recently interviewed for a job. After which I reviewed the visa status and started panicking. I am due to leave to Bermuda (where my mother lives) next week. What are the penalties? Can I apply for an another e3 if I get the job. Can I return to the us on a visa weiver or try to sort this situation out. Very scared about not being able to return to the us. My girlfriend is here and the thought of not being able to return even for a visit is torture.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
If your overstay is less than 180 days, you will not trigger the 3 year bar. But you will have a difficult time to convince the US consulate that it was just an oversight.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 7/30/2011
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
If you leave before you accrue 180 days of unlawful presence (time after visa expired) you will not be subject to any bans from the U.S. If you do not leave before then, you will be subject to the bars. If you are thinking of marrying your girlfriend and she is a citizen, you could do so and obtain a green card even though you overstayed your visa, but leaving the country may prevent this. There are several options and you should speak with a lawyer to make sure you understand. You should do so quickly as the clock is running.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 7/28/2011
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
You were only allowed to stay in the U.S. until 3/8/11. By remaining beyond that date you were in violation of your immigration status. This violation will be looked at every time you seek to return to the U.S. and particularly when you apply for a new visa and may prevent you from returning. If you attempt to return under the visa waiver program, you may be denied entry and issued a removal order that will bar you for 5 years from returning or receiving a visa. You may still be issued a new visa if you disclose your overstay to the Consulate when applying and it will be within the Consulate's discretion to grant you the visa. The Consulate cannot grant you any visa for 3 years if you remained in the U.S. for more than 180 days and subsequently left. The bar will increase to 10 years if you stay for more than one year past your authorized stay.I recommend consulting with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss your relationship with your girl friend. If she is a U.S. citizen and you are determined to building a life together, you might be able to regain legal status IF you do not leave the U.S. I strongly recommend seeking the consultation before you remained in the U.S. for more than 180 days past 3/8/11.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/27/2011
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
If you leave the US within six months after your authorized stay expires, you will not be barred from coming back by law. However, your visa becomes valid and you will need to apply for a new visa.You may run into problems with the American Consulate if the visa officer knows of your overstay. Bottom line: it is possible that you may be denied visa to come back.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/27/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
if you depart the U.S. you will need a waiver to re-enter to overcome the unlawful presence you have accrued. As waivers are discretionary you need to weigh all options before departing the U.S.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/27/2011
    William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law
    William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law | William C. Gosnell
    You should voluntarily leave and not get deported. If you get deported you cannot come back. Once you get to Bermuda you can apply for a Student Visa, a Work visa or a Tourist Visa and file an I-130 for a visa.
    Answer Applies to: Tennessee
    Replied: 7/26/2011
    Fong & Associates
    Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
    You do not have an E-3 visa to enter the US. If you stayed beyond the I-94 expiration date, then you must apply for another visa at your home consulate in Australia. If you overstay, you will not be able to enter as a visa waiver applicant. You will need to explain the overstay and be sure to document that it is less than 180 days and that you did not otherwise violate your status.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 7/26/2011
Click to View More Answers: