What will happen if I got a ticket for driving with a suspended license? 12 Answers as of July 17, 2013

I got a ticket for driving with a suspended license. Court in 5 days but have not fix the problem what will happen in court. What do I do? When I go to court, will they arrest me? If I do not have my license fixed already or can I call and postpone the court dates?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
That's why you pay a lawyer $1000. Why should I tell you for free and deprive another lawyer a much needed fee so she can feed her family. Don't be reckless and you'll be fine.
Answer Applies to: Montana
Replied: 9/28/2012
David F. Stoddard
David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
You will likely be sentenced to a fine (the sentence depends on whether it is first offense DUS or more, and whether the suspension was due to DUI). Your license will also be suspended for an additional period of time. If your period of suspension has ended, and you are eligible to have your license reinstated, you should discuss with an attorney the possibility of a reduced charge, such as driving without possession of a drivers license, which will not suspend your license, if you can get it reinstated before you go to court (the attorney can get it postponed for this).
Answer Applies to: South Carolina
Replied: 9/28/2012
R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C.
R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C. | Robert Kelly
You should probably retain a criminal defense attorney. If you can't afford one, the court should appoint one for you. Driving While License Suspended has varying degrees of seriousness, depending on the circumstances.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 7/17/2013
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
You should try to get your license reinstated before you go to court. If you can't, go to court and ask for more time to get it reinstated. Chances are that once you get your license reinstated they court will dismiss the citation. You will not get held for a simple operating after revocation of license or operating without a license charge. Assuming everything you have told me is the full story, you should be fine and not be held or sentenced to any jail time for a minor charge such as this.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 9/28/2012
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
If you are eligible to get your license, get it before court. Continue the case if you need to. For driving on a suspended license the court will likely suspend or revoke your privilege to drive for a long period of time. the state wants you to be properly licensed. So if you can get your license do it and do it now and show it to the DA I would suggest you get the best traffic court lawyer in your town also
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 9/28/2012
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    They've got bigger fish to fry, so I doubt they will expend resources to arrest you. Meanwhile, get a lawyer. Yes it will cost you (a few hundred bucks in my neck of the woods) but it will be worth it.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 9/28/2012
    Victor Varga | Victor Varga
    You won't be arrested but you will get a big fine.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland
    Replied: 9/28/2012
    Law Offices of John Carney
    Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
    You must pay the fines before the prosecutor will reduce the misdemeanor to a violation. You will be assigned a public defender and released without bail. You will have a month to pay off the tickets and then after you clear your license you can plead to a 511-a1 or 509-1 and pay a fine and surcharge. The next time you get a ticket pay it off or go to court so that your license does not get suspended.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 9/28/2012
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
    Don't wait to find out. Go get your license today. Have your license when you show up for hearing.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 9/28/2012
    Paris Blank LLP
    Paris Blank LLP | Irving M Blank
    You have to appear in court and either employ an attorney or seek to qualify for a public defender. You should not be arrested in court unless there are other charges are pending against you.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 9/28/2012
    John Russo | John Russo
    No you will not be arrested that would have happened when you got stopped, but if you don't fix this problem you may be ready to retire before you get your license back. Do what needs to be done to have your license reinstated. You will most likely pay a fine and court cost.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 9/28/2012
Click to View More Answers: