What will happen if I go around my attorney and settle my case with the other side for less? 3 Answers as of September 20, 2016

My attorney is a liar and rotten to the core so I'm thinking to go around her/him and settling my case for a lot less money.

Any settlement check is going to have the lawyer's name on it, as he no doubt has notified them of his lien. He will get his share of any settlement.
Law Offices of Stanley S. Lopata
Law Offices of Stanley S. Lopata | Stan Lopata
You always have the right to fire your attorney. Do that in a letter sent via certified mail and send a copy to the insurance company. You should be aware that the attorney may have a lien on your case, meaning that he can be paid for the work he has done for you. The insurance company will not talk to you without the letter firing the attorney.
Briny Woods
Briny Woods | Briny Woods
Your attorney will likely be entitled to a portion of your settlement, depending on what your retainer contract reads. First discuss with your attorney if he is willing to drop his lien and you both part ways. Also, request an accounting of time he has spent on your case. Otherwise, you may want to fire your attorney, and then typically he would be entitled to his hourly work (and costs) spent on your file. Feel free to call another attorney first to review the lower settlement you have in mind.