What will happen if I get a misdemeanor for shoplifting? 5 Answers as of June 20, 2011

What should I expect from the judge for a second offense of shoplifting?

If it's your second shoplifting, you can expect to be treated more severely than the first. It depends upon too many facts to give you a firm answer. Speak to a local attorney and find out more. It also depends upon which county you're in and how old you are and how much was stolen. Good luck.
However, I would need much more information such as how old you were at first offense and second offense, what you took and the value of it, what was the outcome of the first case- were you a teenager and if so were you given Youthful Offender Status. Without further information I can not be specific.
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
If you have an attorney, you should be consulting with him on this question. If you do not, you should retain our office.
What to expect may depend a great deal on your circumstances. For example, your age, your other criminal history, if any, the circumstances of the offense, did you steal from an employer, how much was taken, will you make restitution, how long since your last petit larceny, etc. Notwithstanding, my best guess is that the best you may do is a B misdemeanor of attempted petit larceny. Otherwise, they may hold you "as charged". That means no break at all.
Your summary states that this is your second arrest for shoplifting. You want to know what to expect as a sentence, but I do not know many of the factors that will be taken into consideration by the judge in sentencing you. First, I would need to know your age, the court you are in, your prior criminal record, whether you were out on bail or on probation at the time, what you stole, and whether you are employed. If you are young and this is only your second arrest you will probably be allowed to plead to a Disorderly Conduct and pay a fine. You may have to plead to a misdemeanor and get a year probation. I would consider getting counseling to determine why you felt compelled to steal after being given a break the first time. People shoplift for various reasons. Some do it to support their drug habit, some do it for the thrill, others feel the stores can afford to lose the items and that it is no big deal, still others are just not interested in their reputation or criminal record, they just see something, can't afford it, and they take it thinking they are too clever to get caught. Millions of young people steal from stores, their parents, and others because they have no money and are poor decision makers. It will benefit you greatly to first realize why you steal, and then decide that it is not worth ruining your chances of getting a good job because of a criminal record. That $20 item you stole could cost you a year in jail or millions of dollars that you could have earned with a good job over time. When you look at it that way you will realize that shoplifting is a very bad way to get the items you want given the very good chance that you will be caught and have to suffer the consequences. I'm sure that your parents are very upset, embarrassed, and troubled by your actions. Find a way to make it up to them.