What will happen if I get a K1 visa and get married within the expiry of the visa? 6 Answers as of February 27, 2011

I am engaged to a US citizen (a green card holder). I want to apply for K1. My question is: if I get a K1 visa and I get married to him within the expiry of the visa, what can be the consequences and what are the questions asked by the immigration officers?

If you are issued a K1 and married BEFORE you enter the U.S. you cannot enter as a K1. If you lie and do not tell them, you will have committed fraud and will be inadmissible to the U.S.
You can only get a K-1 visa if you are already outside the USA. Your fiance must file for the K-1, get it approved, giving you the ability to have an appointment to gain your entry visa into the country, your I-94 stamped with K-1 entry visa notice. Then you must marry within 90 days. If you would like the help of a qualified attorney, by all means please call or e-mail to set up an in-person or phone consultation. Best to you.
File an i-130 for a spouse visa.
If you marry before the approval of the K-1 then you would have to file a K-3 visa (spouse visa); as you no longer qualify for a K-1 visa as he is your spouse and not fiance once you marry. You cannot trasfer the K-1 to K-3 visa. I have had this issue with other clients and we were able to resolve. For a free consultation feel free to contact me.
A greencard holder is not a U.S. citizen and therefore you could be waiting years for the issuance of a K-1 visa.
    You should always abide the laws. If the law requires you to get married within 90 days, you should. Any questions could be asked during interview. As long as you are truthful, you are good. Good luck!