What will happen if I failed to complete a required class before my next court appearance? 9 Answers as of June 17, 2011

I am on court probation in CA and was ordered by the Court to take an AIDS test and attend an AIDS class to be completed before my next court date on June 20th. I was sick and could not attend and the next class is on June 28. Can I ask the court for an extension before my court date? If I can't, will the judge remand me into custody for failure to complete it?

You may ask the clerk at the courts if you can have an extension if you haven't had extensions they will give you 1 that last 45 days.
LynchLaw
LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
Yes, the Court could fail to accept your excuse. However, if this type of delay has not happened in the past, and the court accepts your representation that you were sick it can, in its discretion, simply give you a new date for which to complete the task. Good luck.
If you violate probation terms, your sentence can be reinstated, and you put in jail. You can ask for anything you like. If you can persuade the judge you didnt do this willfully, then he might allow additional time to complete. Take your proof to court.
The judge can always jail you for violating probation. But if you don't show up it will get worse. It would be best if you had a lawyer with you. If not just plan your excuse and hope the judge understands.
Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
You could be in violation of your probation and have to serve more time or suffer further penalties. For more information, please see my website or call me for a legal consultation.
    The English Law Firm
    The English Law Firm | Robert English
    I would recommend trying to go in and seek an extension before the next date and explain the circumstances of the illness.
    Tracy L Henderson, Attorney at Law
    Tracy L Henderson, Attorney at Law | Tracy L. Henderson
    Just go into court with proof of your illness and request more time. The court will do what it does but it likely, not for certain, will just give you more time.
    Explain the issue to the judge. Most likely you will get an extension granted.
    Yes, you can try to ask the Judge for an extension, or you can get an attorney to appear on your behalf, given that there is no way you can complete the class before June 20. In other words, either the Judge gives you an extension, or you will be violated for probation. When an attorney appears for you (without you), the chances of you being remanded is greatly decreased.