What will happen if I do not show up for jury duty and now have a hearing? 2 Answers as of March 28, 2011

I'm from new york & I just got a letter from court for a hearing because I didn't show up to jury. if I don't have a good excuse can I be fined or jailed? what should I do?

In New York every citizen must serve jury duty every six years if chosen and there are no exceptions, only extensions. You should not lie to the jury warden or tell them any excuse that can be found to be insufficient, untrue, or even partially true, such as you forgot or were out of town. They may feel you needed to inform them by phone as instructed in the forms you received in the mail. An attorney would know what to tell them and how to lessen the chance that you would be punished for your failure to follow their summons which is a court order. Feel free to call for a consultation anytime or call an attorney in your area that is an experienced criminal attorney. He will know the people who work in the jury room at the courthouse and it is likely that he cal call them and simply re-schedule your jury duty in a few months and you will not even have to go to a hearing or have to explain your failure to follow the court order.
You could be fined ( prison unlikely but it is possible) for contempt of court. You should hire an attorney to help you.