What will happen if I do not go to court for a DUI? 4 Answers as of January 04, 2011

Recently received my 3rd DUI. From what I know there will be automatic jail time. If I was not to go to court I know there will be a warrant issued. (1) will they actively search for someone for a DUI? (2) will I ever be able to get a license while there is a warrant issued?

If you do not appear a warrant will be issued. A Capias Warrant to be exact. Any bond you have posted so far will be forfeited, and the bondsman will come looking for you. The bondsman that posted for you, has a financial incentive to find you and they hire Bounty Hunters (a.k.a. Skip Tracers) who get paid only if they find you. So, yes, they will actively look for you. In addition to that, the police will have a warrant outstanding and they run warrant sweeps every so often and - you will be arrested on sight. Murphy's law dictates it will not be a convenient time.

And NO, you will not ever get a driver's license in the US while this is pending. The National Driver's Database is available to every State and cross references the warrants list. Apply for a DL - get arrested.

Finally, and this is extra important, if you want a bond or opportunity to be free while pending trial - don't show up for court and the Judge will keep you in jail until trial when you are caught. Accordingly, GO TO COURT on the appointed date - if there is jail time, ask for it on your terms - you may get it (show up Friday, spend the weekend and leave as opposed to lock up now and go home when we say).
Law Office of Tim W. Avery
Law Office of Tim W. Avery | Tim W. Avery
Yes a warrant will be issued if you fail to appear in court. Whether they will actively search for you such as going to your house or business or just simply entered the warrant into the computer (waiting for you to get stop on a traffic violation or going in for a license renewal) depends on the county in which you live. Some counties actively serve their warrants, some do not - usually depends on the county's financial resources and manpower.
Law Office of Jamie Balagia
Law Office of Jamie Balagia | Will Mitchell
If you do not go to court for your new DWI, the court will forfeit your bond and issue a warrant for your arrest. Once arrested, your bond amount to be released will be significantly higher than your initial bond. In Texas, a 3rd DWI is a 3rd degree felony and accordingly, the police will be actively seeking you as a fugitive felon. So long as there is a warrant out for your arrest, DPS will not issue you a driver's license.
The Purnell Law Firm
The Purnell Law Firm | Simon Purnell
Not going to your court date is never a good option. With regard to a felony DWI (or any other felony or misdemeanor) a warrant will be issued for your arrest, your bond will be revoked (and if there is a bond company, they will be assisting in finding you), and you will be unable to get a license. The ideal situation is to have your lawyer negotiate a plea if the state has a good case that does not involve jail time.