What will happen if I cannot go back to the country for my court date? 9 Answers as of July 30, 2013

I moved to a different state not knowing how long it would take to get my court date/plea bargain scheduled. I am unable to travel back across the country because of lack of money and my plea bargain is next week. It was a drug charge when I was underage.

Law Offices of James Elliot McIntosh
Law Offices of James Elliot McIntosh | James Elliot McIntosh
A warrant will be issued for your arrest. If you ever leave the country, you will be rearrested at entry. If you try to get social security, you will be denied until the warrant is cleared.
If you have an attorney, you should speak to your attorney immediately. If you do not have one, you will need one. Failure to appear at court can result in the judge issuing a bench warrant for your arrest.
A bench warrant will be issued. When you are stopped by police, you will be arrested, and arrangement will be made for you to transported back to the county where you failed to appear in court.
Making the court date is your responsibility. Did you give the court your new address as required? Your attorney can see if he may stand in for you or if you can be placed on the phone while the hearing is going on. If the court denies these options and you fail to appear, a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest.
Check with you attorney and see what can be cone. In some places they allow a plea by mail for certain offenses.
    Law Office of Richard Southard
    Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
    You need to contact your attorney and have them explain the situation to the judge and hopeful the judge will stay a warrant for your arrest if you plan on returning in a reasonable amount of time. You should have discussed your plans to move with your attorney before leaving. Failure to appear back in court may lead to new felony charges of bail jumping.
    A warrant would issue for you and they would attempt to arrest you.
    Get an attorney or you will be defaulted, convicted, have a record and subject to arrest.
    Pietryga Law Office | Russ Pietryga
    The best way is to hire an attorney to request that the court allow you to enter a "Plea by Affidavit." Usually, Utah Courts allow a defendant to enter a plea by affidavit, if there is a good reason. The fact that you cannot afford to travel back is a good reason.